Slow wifi speeds (less than 20% of wired speed)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-03 13:48:16
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.02 Build 20190917 Rel 71168

I have a Deco P9 running in 

There are two slave units elsewhere in the house.

Sat right next to the main device I'm getting only 16-20 Mbps over wireless.

If plug direct into the Virgin Media router, I get between 90-110 Mbps.

Why such a massive difference?

I don't know what version hardware I have - not sure how I check?

Firmware version is 1.02 Build 20190917 Rel 71168

iOS app version is 1.9.27

Options
1 Reply
Re:Slow wifi speeds (less than 20% of wired speed)
2020-04-07 03:26:03

@ribrob 

The hardware version is printed on the back panel of the actual device. Below is the instruction: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/46/

As for the speed issue, we need do more troubleshooting to locate this issue and try to figure it out. 

1. What is the current network topology/layout? And may I know who is your internet service provider? And what's the bandwidth you pay for them?

2. With your device connected to the main Deco by wired cable or wireless, what is the actual speed you can get separately? And please click here to check the wired/wireless negotiation speed.
Note: The steps are the same, while you need right click on local area connection or ethernet connection to get the wired negotiation speed.      

3. Besides, please try to run a speed test via the Deco app and show us the results. 

4. With your computer or cellphone connected to the slave Deco only, please run the speed test 3 times and show us the test results; Furthermore, please connect your computer to the slave Deco by ethernet cable to verify the wired speed.

5. Try to change the DNS server to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 under cadvanced>>IPv4>>Internet connection type page.

5. Besides, try to swap the locations of the slave Deco units or switch the slave Deco to the main one to give it a shot.

After that, please run the speed test again and check whether it work.

Have a great day.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 765

Replies: 1

Related Articles