Inter-generation / speed compatability

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-19 08:06:08

I've recently decided to setup a Powerline Network at home. I've done a bunch of research and opted for TP-Link's offerings.
I'm setting up a fairly large home network, mostly non-wifi, with different requirements at most of the "output" nodes.

I have several different questions, which aren't tied to specific models..

============

I see that there are various generations of the technology with different base speeds: AV600, AV1000, AV1300, AV2000.

I assume that units from all of the generations interoperate?

In a mixed-generation network, what determines the speed of the connection between two nodes?

Is it only determined by the two units on that connection? Or by the lowest speed of any unit on the whole network?

i.e. Suppose I have a network of 1 router input unit of AV1300, and 2 output units of AV1300 and AV1000.

Obviously the connection between the router and the AV1000 output will be limited to AV1000.
But will the connection between the router and the AV1300 output be able to run at the full AV1300? Or will it be limited to AV1000 too?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Inter-generation / speed compatability
2020-04-23 09:00:15

@Brondahl 

Dear customer

AV1300 could work with AV1000 or AV2000.

Those speeds are just the maximum theoretical speed of each powerline devices, it determines the maximum speed but it doesn't determine your actual speed.

Let's assume a network comprised of two AV1300 devices and one AV1000 device, the maximum theoretical speed between those two AV1300 devices would still be AV1300.

But the speed showing in the tpplc utility would not be that high.

We have to consider other electric devices and other interferences in the powerline network, so the powerline speed showing in the tpplc utility software would never reach AV1300, it would decrease according to differenet environment and distance between powerline devices.

And the actual speed would decrease again, so eventually we are about to get 20%-30% of the powerline speed.

Thanks.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 513

Replies: 1

Related Articles