AX6000 throttling modem speeds 1gbps to 10mbps

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-27 21:37:23 - last edited 2020-06-27 21:40:47
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20200427 rel.80857(5553)

The Scenario

Throughout the day I'll notice a crash/throttling/bottleneck in my internet speed. I pay for 1gbps and my test device is over LAN. Usually I'll be in the close range of hitting the speed for what I pay. But for some reason the speed will crash and you'll notice webpages loading slowly, videos buffering, high pings, and slow downloads speeds. I'll run a speed test and notice the speed is only 10mbps. I'll restart the router and rerun a speed test and it's back to 1gbps.

• Running factory settings
  • About 15 devices in the house
  • Speed throttling is noticeable across all devices. LAN/WIFI/2.4/5
  • Tests are being done over LAN 
  • Have tested directly connected to modem to confirm speeds are accurate without router
  • using fast.com and speedreports.com for tests
  • Cat7 cable from modem to wan port on router
Options
5 Reply
Re:AX6000 throttling modem speeds 1gbps to 10mbps
2020-06-28 02:45:54

@Cody18 

Hello, sorry to hear the speed is throttling, please help verify some details and we will try to fix it together:

1. Did you disconnect all the other devices from the router and only leave one computer performing the test? How about the wired/wireless negotiation speed on that computer when the speed crashed 10Mbps? Please verify it by referring to the instruction: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2265/

Note: For wired negotiation speed, it is the same; while you need right click on local area connection or ethernet. 

2. When did you buy this AX6000 router? Does the speed crash recently or the issue exist since you just bought it? Is there any change made on the router firmware or settings?

3. How often does this speed crash issue happen? Several hours or minutes? Does the speed recover if you power the router off then on every time? Is the QoS setting enabled on the router? Please try to disable it on the Tether app, click on the Tether Homecare page-QoS, check and ensure it is on the Standard Mode, then get back to the Clients' page, check all the clients connected to the router and ensure the High Priority is disabled.

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day. 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-06-28 21:17:32

@Kevin_Z 

Kevin_Z wrote

@Cody18 

Hello, sorry to hear the speed is throttling, please help verify some details and we will try to fix it together:

1. Did you disconnect all the other devices from the router and only leave one computer performing the test? How about the wired/wireless negotiation speed on that computer when the speed crashed 10Mbps? Please verify it by referring to the instruction: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2265/

Note: For wired negotiation speed, it is the same; while you need right click on local area connection or ethernet. 

2. When did you buy this AX6000 router? Does the speed crash recently or the issue exist since you just bought it? Is there any change made on the router firmware or settings?

3. How often does this speed crash issue happen? Several hours or minutes? Does the speed recover if you power the router off then on every time? Is the QoS setting enabled on the router? Please try to disable it on the Tether app, click on the Tether Homecare page-QoS, check and ensure it is on the Standard Mode, then get back to the Clients' page, check all the clients connected to the router and ensure the High Priority is disabled.

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day. 

1. Yes removed all devices and still have the crash in speed randomly. The link speed to the router is usually 1gbps. Sometimes I'll notice it drops to 100mb. 

2. Got it in April this year. If I had to guess, the speed throttling became apparent when I upgraded to 1gpbs speed. Used to have 150mbps. 

3. At least once a day. It's getting to the point when I wanna game to restart the router and test or else I'll suffer huge lag spikes and latency. Speeds recover immediatly after reboot. QoS is on standard with no high priority devices. I factory reset the router by poking the small hole on the back so the router is completely factory settings. 

Options
2020-06-30 06:22:36

@Cody18 

Hi, thanks for the update.

Can you please confirm again what is the current Total Bandwidth on the QoS settings page? Please choose Set Manually if it is not true.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-07-01 17:37:41

@Kevin_Z 

no problem! Thanks for the assistance! 

Here is a screenshot of the settings set to manual and QoS set to standard. Since I couldn't leave the fields empty I placed the values of what my internet speed contract. 

Options
2020-07-02 02:31:10

@Cody18 

Hello,

Our engineer will email you, if you are willing to do further analysis, please check your inbox.                      

Thanks for your cooperation and support. Good day.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1387

Replies: 5

Related Articles