Deco M4 Solid Red Even After Reset

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-02 02:57:18
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

The Decos were working perfectly fine until recently when my devices keep disconnecting from the nearby Deco. It has gone to worse this morning when both the Decos are in solid red LED.

I have tried to delete my existing network, factory reset the main Deco and create a new network again. Everything worked fine from connecting the device (blinking blue LED) to connecting to my modem (solid blue LED) and then when it come to the step to connect to the Internet, the LED turned solid red.

I used my old wifi router to connect to my modem (no setting or reset done, just unplug the LAN cable to plug it straight to the old wifi router), internet works!

It seems to be a problem with the Deco device. 

What else can I do?

Options
8 Reply
Re:Deco M4 Solid Red Even After Reset
2020-09-02 03:15:27

@phy_lis 

Hello,

According to your troubleshooting, the modem should be working fine and we may try to reconfigure the Deco from scratch:

1. Connect your computer directly to the modem bypass the old router, ensure there is internet access, and confirm what is the IP address you can get on it.

2. If step1 works, try to add the other Deco M4 as the main unit and configure it to connect to your modem:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2239/

If it still failed, try to reboot both your modem and the main Deco unit, turn off the modem and main Deco and then turn them back on, wait for 2 minutes, when the lights on the modem are steady, connect the main Deco back to the modem, then test the internet connection again.

May it help.

Options
2020-09-02 04:24:36

@TP-Link_Deco 

Thanks for the reply.

Done that, but still the same.

As soon as it reached the step to try connecting to the internet, the LED turned solid red.

Options
2020-09-02 09:47:11

@phy_lis 

Thanks.

So what is the IP address you get when the computer is connected to the modem directly? And what is the WAN IP address when connecting the main Deco the modem then?

Have you tried to configure the satellite Deco as the main one?

If nothing can make it work, it is suggested to contact the local tech support to check if the device is faulty and they will help further:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/contact-technical-support/#Hotline-Support 

Good day. 

Options
2020-09-03 07:04:55

@TP-Link_Deco 

Hi.

I got valid IP when connected to the modem directly, and able to access the Internet. Main Deco got a valid IP as well.

I have not tried to connect the other Deco as main.

Will try it early tomorrow morning, since I need the stable Internet connection for work.

Will update again on the result.

Thanks again!

Options
2020-09-04 07:56:14 - last edited 2020-09-04 09:04:57

@TP-Link_Deco 

Just tested again using the other Deco as main - same issue. It was solid Blue during the initial setup but turned solid red when it is at the step of 'Creating your Wi-Fi network'. Although it says successfully created but failed to connect to the Internet. LED remained solid red. Connected back my wifi router to the modem, able to access the Internet.

I've also followed the instructions here - https://www.tp-link.com/my/support/faq/2239/

1. Tap “Skip This Step” on the bottom of the error page, on the Deco app, click on More->Advanced->IPv4, check the WAN IP address of the Deco and change the DNS server to 8.8.8.8 for a try. Here is the instruction.

2. Connect a computer to the modem directly, check whether the computer has internet access, if there is no internet access on the computer, it’s suggested to contact ISP.

If the computer has internet access, use the same Ethernet cable and the same port on the modem connect to the main Deco, then check whether the Deco will work or not.

3. If you have an old router, connect your network devices as modem-old router-main Deco, then setup the main Deco. After the main Deco is configured successfully, connect the main Deco to the modem directly and enjoy the internet with Deco.

Step #2 didn't work - Deco is not connecting to the Internet.

Step #3 worked - Deco only works if I connect it to my wifi router (Modem > Wifi Router > Deco)

Options
2020-11-20 09:18:28

Update - 20 Nov 2020

After exhausting all possible support channels (TP-Link Customer Service/Technical Support/TM Support) and with no workable solutions - I finally fixed it by enabling IPTV/VLAN settings in Deco app, and a little patience for the solid red LED to turn solid white.

A summary of my problem:

1. Got my pair of Deco sometimes in June 2020 and my setup is Unifi Huawei Modem > Deco. It was working perfectly fine until one day in July/August, where it suddenly stopped working. LED is solid red.
  2. No settings changed in my network setup or Unifi. Deco was untouched since they are first installed.
  3. Tried resetting both Deco, took turn to set each as the main Deco. The setup went well, it was able to create the new wireless network and connected to it. The LED turn solid red at "Test Internet Connection" step.
  4. Followed the steps outlined here - https://www.tp-link.com/hk/support/faq/2239/ - and still didn't work.
  5. Up to this point, I took my Asus Wireless Router out and connected it to the Unifi modem - Internet is back!
  6. Tried setting up the main Deco by connecting to the wireless router - Deco is working! So, it only work in AP mode by not Router mode. The working network setup is Unifi Huawei Modem > Asus Wireless Router > Deco. This is not the reason I get the Deco. I hope to get ride of the wireless router.
  7. After few months of researching for solutions, I found a post that suggest to enable IPTV/VLAN settings in Deco app.
  8. So, I rearranged my network setup back to Router mode (Unifi Huawei Modem > Deco). The LED did turned solid red at "Test Internet Connection" step. I selected "Skip this step", returned to the Advanced setting in Deco app, and enabled IPTV/VLAN option.
  9. It took some time for the LED to turn from solid red to solid white. I think around 3-4 minutes. So, must wait patiently.

Now, I can stash away my wireless router and I hope there won't be any problem again in the future.

Options
2022-01-07 16:28:48

@phy_lis I had the same problem after rebooting. When I changed the ethernet cable port it turned instantly green for me.

Maybe a dhcp problem between both routers. 

Options
2022-01-14 05:46:18
I tried that too but didn't work. At last it worked after I enabled the IPTV/VLAN setting in Deco app.
Options