AX11000 Slow Wifi Speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

AX11000 Slow Wifi Speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
AX11000 Slow Wifi Speed
AX11000 Slow Wifi Speed
2020-09-22 15:32:00
Model: Archer AX11000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1 Build 20200716 rel.84595(5553)

Hello,

I've changed ISP's so I had to change my TP-Link ID. I upgraded my internet plan to 1024mbs, from my old isp's 300mbs plan.

Problem is, I cant get more than 300mbs speed out of this router on wifi. When hooked up directly to my Technicolor TC4400 modem, I get almost gigabit speed. I've gone through all the settings in wireless and nothing helps.

When I conduct a speed test using the router speed test utility, I never get more than 350mbs. The router is connected to the modem using a cat8 cable.

Am I doing something wrong here, but for a $500 router, I think it would be a little faster? I am only 25 feet away from the router.

Options
9 Reply
Re:AX11000 Slow Wifi Speed
2020-09-23 05:41:29

@boyne 

Hello,

Please log in to the web UI of the AX11000 and confirm if there is a bandwidth limit on the HomeCare-QoS page, you may change it to Set Manually and type in the correct bandwidth provided by your ISP:

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-09-23 12:59:54 - last edited 2020-09-23 14:28:56

@Kevin_Z 

Hello Kevin,

I found that setting yesterday after posting. I also selected a wide channel  in the wireless and was able to get my speed up to 400mbs momentarily and then drops back to just slightly over 300mbs. This is unacceptable for a $500 CAD router!

When running on a wired connection to the router, I am getting close to gigabit speeds. But running my laptops on a wire is not feasible and that is why I purchased this router.

I've spent 45 minutes on the phone with tech support yesterday and have exchanged multiple emails with them. The problem isn't with my modem, computer/devices or cable connection. The problem is with the routers wifi. The router is 25 ft away from me basically with a direct line of sight.

For the princely sum I paid for this thing, I would expect it to operate as advertised.

Options
2020-09-24 20:34:52

@boyne 

With the following settings and being literally four or five feet away from the router I was able to get just over 600mbs on a speed test. Once I move more than 5 feet away, the speed drops to around 400mbs. On average, I'm getting ~350mbs per second on a gigabyte connection.

I've been in contact with tech support via email and hopefully something can be found to fix the issues with this router since I can't return it to where I bought it.

Anyone have any ideas?

Options
2020-09-25 01:29:36

@boyne 

Hello, thanks for all the details.

It seems your case has been handled by the engineers already, please keep in contact with him and he will help you out ASAP.

Good days.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-09-25 13:29:23 - last edited 2020-09-25 23:54:27

@Kevin_Z 

This is the response I received from your engineer:

Dear customer,

According to your description, the speed is not bad, I think. Genelly speaking, when you remove the device away from the router, the link speed between the router and client will drop, which means that actual speed will drop. When the distance becomes farther, the signal strength of the client received by the router will decrease, and the signal strength of the client received by the router will also decrease. And some obstacles will also affect the connection between the client and router. This means they have to lower some wireless standards when they negotiate the associated rate with each other, for example, Quadrature Amplitude Modulation.

if you want to get high speed in another place, I suggest you can try to add AP device, this would be a cheaper and effective solution.

I shouldn't have to buy anything since this router is not working as claimed. It's not possible for me use my devices standing 5 feet away from the router yet when I move 6, 7, 8, 9 feet away from the router the speed drops 30% to 40% and I am supposed to be happy with this?

This does exactly nothing to solve the issue. Add an AP device when this bloody thing doesn't support mesh, huh? I already have an RE650 for wifi in the back yard wired to the router and only get 80mbps to 100mbps on the thing 10 feet away with one wall in between.

So I should have to go out and buy another device because this thing isn't working like it should?

This is my last TP-Link router ever. I should have stuck with ASUS.

I want an RMA and I want a new router of the latest revision.

When I was with my old isp on a 300mbps plan, I was getting 280mbps ~ 290mbps speed on this router. Now that I have a 1024mbps connection and I am only marginally getting 350mbps at the best of times with this terrible router, tells me that it is the router that is the problem.

Your solution offered is unacceptable and unappreciated. It does absolutely nothing to address the problem with this router. And no, I don't think ~350mbps speed on a 1024mbps connection is generally a decent speed, especially when this is supposed to be able to achieve speeds of 10756mbps. ~350mbps is a far, far cry from 10756mbps.

Options
2021-03-01 18:38:33

@boyne 

I have the Archer AX11000 and the Archer 2800 which is much cheaper. I live in a 100 yr old house with solid walls. I'm sitting indirectly 20-30m from the 2800 and the signal varies from 585mb/s  to 780mb/s (sometime peaking over 800mb/s). That is with the signal set to high on the 2800, no corresponding  switch on the AX11000

If I use the AX11000 I get similar but not better signal so I'm not sure what benefit the AX1100 adds considering I got the 2800 to act as a iptv vdsl bridge modem and the ax11000 to  act as a wireless router. Unfortunately I can't get iptv to work via the AX11000 and the wifi is no better or  slightly worse than the 2800. I had hoped that since they came from the same maufacturer they would be foolproof plug and play. And why have 8 huge antennae  in comparison to the 4 of the 2800! 

The AX11000 is fast if you are very close but the sigal does seem to drop off quickly (maybe  because they are not screw in antennae? )

The Archer 2800 is much better than my previous draytek 2860 both in wifi by  x3 to x4 and slightly better at vdsl so I'm very happy with the cheaper 2800

Moral of  the story is the cheaper TP-Link device can be as good if not better than the more  expensive one! (unless there is a missing killer feature benefit on the AX11000?)

Options
2021-03-02 03:58:19

@billhinge 

Are you talking about the 5G signal or the 2.4G or both on the AX11000? Is it connected to the Archer VR2800, and working as a router?

Please check and ensure the Transmit Power on the AX11000 are both set to be High, then you may try to modify the wireless channel and channel width settings on it to monitor again. As for the 5G channel, you may try 36/40/44/48, channel width 80MHz; As for the 2.4G, you can change the channel to 1/6/11, channel width to 40MHz, or you may run a Wi-Fi analyzer to review the channel, then choose one with better signal.

Please also ensure the firmware on the AX11000 is up-to-date, you can try to reset it to factory defaults then reconfigure it from scratch to confirm.

Options
2021-03-02 08:42:10

@Kevin_Z 

I assumed 5g would always be better than 2.4, however that isn't the case,  some devices eg Panasonic  oled tv seem to get stronger signal at  2.4, macbook pro likes 5g as does apple tv

I tried this with both routers connecting  to my  household devices  to find the optimum setting

I had the archer 2800 on  high  setting  for wifi, I  didn't see a similar setting for the ax11000.  I looked, but I could have missed it, where is that?

Firmware on both  devices is up to date checked via the application update setting

I'm back to using just the archer 2800  after doing a factory reset , seems to be working  great, the ax11000 is switched off and disconnected 

I'll try changing the channels, I thought  I would let the auto work first, my assumption being there was some machine testing being performed which maybe more accurate than my subjective test?

Options
2021-03-03 11:47:38

@billhinge 

2.4G and 5G network have their own advantages and disadvantages, generally, 5G has a shorter range compared with 2.4G. You may check this article:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/499/

As per the "high setting for wifi", I think you are referring to the Transmit Power for the Wi-Fi network, which should be in High by default, but you can check this on the Advanced > Wireless Settings page of the AX11000.

If possible, we hope you could provide some detailed test results, that shows the signal strength of both the AX11000 and the VR2800, you may try to run some Wi-Fi analyzer software to review that.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 5612

Replies: 9

Related Articles