Archer C9 keeps rebooting/restarting randomly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer C9 keeps rebooting/restarting randomly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
126 Reply
Re:Archer C9 keeps rebooting/restarting randomly
2020-10-30 10:21:31

@Kevin_Z I'm having the same problem as the other people in this thread and on the forums. Case no. 16118242. Archer C9.

It started a couple of weeks back, maybe upwards a month ago now. Seemingly out of nowhere the router reboots itself. I've checked with my ISP and no issues there. I've been using the latest firmware but after a chat with your support over a week ago I reverted back to factory default. This might have minimized the problem a bit. Going from 4-10 reboots a day to once or twice according to the router logs. It's getting aggravating as I'm trying to work from home.

This problem seems to be happening to people around the world, I don't understand. The problem surely must be a software issue inside the router? Do you have any new information from your engineers?

@dmk Please, would you mind sharing your supposed fix for this, or what the issue is? Has it lasted for you or did it reboot again after a couple of days?

Here's a screenshot of a portion of the logs when it happens:

PS. It looks like it has automatically updated itself to the latest firmware? Version 1.2.4 Build 20190403 rel.63869. I certainly haven't upgraded after performing a full factory reset. Maybe it's this firmware that's the source of the problem? How do we stop the router from automatically upgrading?

Options
2020-10-30 10:39:49

@snoken 

My situation seems to point to something with IOS14 devices as only started with the reboots around the time the family updated the OS of our 4 iphones.

I have connected the IOS14 devices to another old router (temporarily for this test) sitting between by cable modem and the C9 now for 4 days and had no reboots from the C9 or disconnections/reboots with the old router. Other apple devices, not on IOS14 plus windows laptops connected to the C9 via wifi and a couple of lan connected devices.

Do you have any IOS14 devices connected?

Options
2020-10-30 10:50:57

@Mendo Nice catch! I do have 2 iPhones on iOS 14 connected actually. Considering iOS 14 release September 16th it is not impossible to believe that it would be the culprit somehow in all of this, especially given your information.

I don't have a spare router myself, so I wonder what exactly the issue would be in iOS 14 -- maybe a setting I could turn off?

Options
2020-10-30 11:17:14

@fjorim 

Have you had any reboots since switching off the Private MAC Address on your IOS14 devices?

Even though @dmk earlier had tried the same he then subsequently reported that the reboots returned.

Options
2020-10-30 11:59:30

@snoken 

Thanks a lot for all the detailed info. Please kindly try Mendo's suggestion to switch off the "Private MAC address" on both of your iOS14 and confirm again.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-10-30 14:46:46 - last edited 2020-10-30 14:48:39

@Mendo @Kevin_Z I switched "Private MAC Address" off on my iOS 14 iPhone (the other one has 13.7 installed) I think around the time I factory reset (several days ago maybe upwards a week) and I've unfortunately had reboots since. But maybe this is the reason as to why I'm experiencing less reboots. Like I said it could happen over 5 times a day before factory reset(even though it automatically updated to latest firmware at some point) + turning off "Private MAC Address" but now it's down to maybe once or twice a day.

Options
2020-10-30 16:07:32

@Mendo not a single reboot after I switched off the private address functionality on iPhone and iPad.

Options
2020-10-30 17:18:12
Okay so turns out that watchOS 7 for the Apple Watch also includes this "Private MAC Address" feature. I have now turned it off. Will post again next week with the results. Fingers crossed!
Options
2020-11-01 15:36:06

@snoken 

I am also having the same Radom reboots as everyone else. Very frustrating.  Been like this for +/- a month.

Options
2020-11-02 02:48:22

@TGF 

Hi, is there any iOS14 devices connected to the C9 network? If there are, please kindly try Mendo's suggestion to switch off the "Private MAC address" on all of your iOS14 devices and confirm again.

Thanks a lot.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Related Articles