Archer C9 keeps rebooting/restarting randomly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer C9 keeps rebooting/restarting randomly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
126 Reply
Re:Archer C9 keeps rebooting/restarting randomly
2020-11-02 08:26:53 - last edited 2020-11-02 08:27:52

@Kevin_Z @TGF Just a quick update to let you know that according to the router logs: last reboot ocurred september 29th. I don't want to jinx anything but this means that so far since disabling the feature "Private (MAC) Address" on all apple devices currently offering it -- I haven't had a single reboot!

If you're unsure, the feature on iOS can be found and deactivated if you go to your wifi, click on the little information icon to the right if your network. On Apple Watch/watchOS it's right there in the wifi settings.

Will report another status later on in the week or if the router happen to reboot before that.

Options
2020-11-02 10:37:14

@snoken 

Hi, thank you so much again for this kind and valued sharing. Yes, we also reported this info to our developers and they are confirming and testing. We will let you know if there is an update from them also.

Have a nice day.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-11-03 14:48:29

Hello everyone, have been experiencing the same problem like in this thread (completely random reboot of the archer c9).

And first of all i want to start with my story of diagnosing the problem with reboots. I use the router for about a year and these problems started like everyone else almost at the same time about 2 months ago.

As they started the router just stopped functioning with an additional feature like QoS enabled. The router just turned on after an independent reboot and as soon as it found the Internet, it immediately turned off and so on again. I had to do a "factory reset" and then I disabled the QoS function. I also had to enable NAT boost because if NAT is just enabled, the router does not restart, but simply stops seeing the Ethernet cable even though it is connected. Further... with the NAT boost function enabled, the router works perfectly in terms of the quality of the Internet connection-the speed is 400 Mbit\s, there is no packet loss and routing works (I play online games and everything works fine there), but now the router starts to reboot itself after 10-20 hours and it can also reboot almost immediately when I connect tablets or phones via wifi (ipad for example) but now the router starts to reboot itself after 10-20 hours, and it can also restart almost immediately when I connect tablets or phones (ipad for example) via wifi, while it has ios 12 and does not have all these functions that people described above as private mac adress. And I tried to enable WPA2-psk AES encryption and the result did not change for me - the router still reboots.

That's my story.

Options
2020-11-04 07:47:25

@Terni4 Turn off Private MAC Address and monitor logs for at least a week. Refer to previous replies for a more in-depth explanation...

Options
2020-11-04 08:04:44

My router unfortunately restarted itself yesterday for the first time in over a week, despite having turned off private address on all iOS devices :(

Options
2020-11-04 08:14:39

@fjorim Mine did as well actually, at 4 AM. However, according to the logs the restart differ from that of the "regular" reboots from the past weeks. It only logged the type "LED Controller". Normally when the reboots happen there are a bunch of different types in play like NAT, Network and QoS -- but this time only the LED Controller. So I'm tempted to not write off the fix just yet.

I'm curious though, what exact date and time did your reboot occur?

Options
2020-11-04 08:20:38

@snoken it occurred at 19:40 in the evening. Here's the log:

Options
2020-11-04 08:31:33

@fjorim I see. That is disappointing to say the least. And how long since your last reboot? Mine was good for 6 days straight and it feels like too much of a coincidence that Private MAC Address wouldn't have at least something to do with the problem because I haven't gone 6 days straight without a reboot for several weeks now, probably a month or two.

@Kevin_Z Any update from your engineers? Unless this isn't a high priority (which it should be considering the scope of the issue) I feel like by now with the plentiful information that they have, they should at least have an idea and maybe even a fix in the works?

Options
2020-11-04 08:43:38

@snoken it was over a week ago, but I can't remember exactly and the logs seem to have disappeared

Options
2020-11-04 10:15:17

Hey Guys. I am the thread starter and I also have not had a reboot since 26th of October and I didn turn off the private mac ip adresses as well. I just cross my fingers that it wont come back but I have not heard back from the senior engineers at all. Was trying to help with debugging but since I have not had any issues I cant not give more information.

Options
Related Articles