Do I really need an Ethernet connection for M5 firmware upgrades?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-29 20:20:06
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.4.9
Directions for the latest (all?) firmware upgrade say to use an Ethernet connection if possible. I assume, though it is not stated, this means an Ethernet connection to the main Deco, not to a Deco that is itself connected by wifi to the main router.
My question is: How important is this? I can do it, but not conveniently because of where the main Deco is located in a closet.
Incidentally, I'm pretty sure the last time I did a firmware upgrade I didn't even think about using Ethernet and it worked ok.
Options
4 Reply
Re:Do I really need an Ethernet connection for M5 firmware upgrades?
2020-11-30 06:39:13

@RandySea2 

Hi,

The Ethernet connection is the most reliable one.

It is ok to update the firmware directly via Deco APP and please make sure the smartphone is connected to the Deco’s Wi-Fi all the time.

Thank you very much!

Options
2020-11-30 07:16:24

@TP-Link 

Ok, I'll use my smartphone Deco app over wifi.

Just out of curiosity, since I originally downloaded the firmware upgrade file to my Windows 10 laptop, could I upgrade my Deco units from my laptop via wifi, too?

Options
2020-11-30 07:24:13 - last edited 2020-12-02 10:58:16

@RandySea2 

Yes, both WiFi and Ethernet connection as well as via Deco APP are acceptable

More details instruction about how to log into the web UI:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2641/

Thank you very much.

Options
2020-11-30 18:07:24 - last edited 2020-11-30 18:08:23

@TP-Link 

I think it should have been obvious from my question that I already know how to log in to and use the web interface, so the faq you linked to is not helpful in answering my question. That is, as the title of the thread asks: "Do I really need an Ethernet connection for M5 firmware upgrades?" The web interface seems to say I do, or at least I should, use Ethernet.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 476

Replies: 4

Related Articles