Deco 5 x 3 mesh setup to improve WIFI signal of super hub 3

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-01 22:35:20
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.4.7

I am also experiencing VM superhub 3( running in router mode) poor wifi issues in the house so have got a netgear 8 port ethernet switch upstairs with the supre hub 3 which connects( shield tv, apple tv, pc, synology nas, xbox and fire tv, SPA2, this goes into a power line to ground floor to a netgear 4 port swithc which connects to my TV , blu ray , vm box and xbox series x . in the other room i have got another wired netgear switch connectd to my pc and philips hue and printer. The super hub is placed upstairs.

i have 23 wifi devices connected to my superhub 3 wifi on 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz respecitvley.

The SSID is vm123456

I have tried all the troubel shooting with VM CS to improve the wifi signal but no luck, hence bought the deco M5.

CAn you please recomend a setup for the existing equipment.

1) Can i still use my superhub in router mode and use the deco 5 as a AP so that i can keep using the 4 lan ports on the super hub 3 and the 8 port netgear switch.

2) To use the super hub in modem mode and use the lan port to connect to deco 5 and the other port of deco 5 to switch so that all other devicces will be connected, will this work for all the existing switch, connect the second and third deco m5 wirelessly to cover blackspots in the house.

3) connect the downstiars deco to existing netgear switch with the ethernet wires and use the Deco m5 to improve the wifi.

any other suggestions, welcome.

thanks for you support.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco 5 x 3 mesh setup to improve WIFI signal of super hub 3
2020-12-02 01:35:35

@boxer29 

Good day,

Thank you very much for your patience.

It would be much better to leave Deco M5 as the AP mode and turn off the Wi-Fi of VM superhub 3.

In this way, basically there is no need to make changes to the previous network connections and just handle the wireless part to the Deco.

Thanks a lot.

Options
2020-12-02 17:00:24

@TP-Link 

Can you please a bit precise how do i do this. lIke which wires goes where.

what SSID( i think i will have to use the superhub ssd which is VM12345 )should i give to Deco M5 and do i have to connect this with ethernet cable or do it wireless. 

whats the adavantages of both.

many thanks.

TP-Link wrote

@boxer29 

Good day,

Thank you very much for your patience.

It would be much better to leave Deco M5 as the AP mode and turn off the Wi-Fi of VM superhub 3.

In this way, basically there is no need to make changes to the previous network connections and just handle the wireless part to the Deco.

Thanks a lot.

Options
2020-12-02 22:06:55 - last edited 2020-12-02 22:15:12

My Setup took me 15 minutes.

Super hub left in router mode as advised with all the wires and switch connections intact. Turned off the wireless 2.4 and 5 ghz in the end on VM SH3.

while setting the deco m5  via the app on my phone i had to change the SSID from VM12345 to VM12345A as it wont connect to the old SSID said too many SSID with the same name.. Later i changed it back to original SSID VM12345 and password so all the 23 devices reconnected. Firmware updated to Deco m5.

deco m5 ----ethernet port of super hub 3 deco m5 second ethernet port ---8 port switch Ethernet port ( ethernet backhaul ) all switches and wired devices same setup.(no need to change anything)

Placed the main Deco m5 next to the super hub and getting good WIFI speed downstairs where the super hub 3 WIFI was struggling.( lost connection all the time)

The speed which i get on the app is 110 mbps via the speed check when i go to the app the 23 online devices speed fluctuates from 0-20 kbps is this normal, can some one comment on this. many thanks.

my problems

cant get the parental control and ather settigns via the app (Homecare)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 899

Replies: 3

Related Articles