Archer C6 v2.0 intermittent connection drops with high CPU load

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-14 09:11:00
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.3.6 Build 20200902 rel.65591(4555)

Hi,

I have an Archer C6 v2, which I have been using since February or March this year, without any problems. However since last week or so, it is producing intermittent connection breaks. I suspect it is the router, because I don't just lose internet connection, I lose internal LAN connection to my home server as well. Each such connection break lasts for 5-10 seconds. It is somewhat annoying as I work from home office and attend a lot of online meetings.

What I noticed is that the router's status page shows usual CPU usage between 8 - 20%, memory usage is almost constantly at 34 - 35%. CPU usage sometimes spikes to 50-70%, or even 100% for a second or two and goes back down. I watched it during my last meeting, and I noticed the following, three times in a row:

1. CPU usage went to 85%, I lost connection on my meeting
  2. 1 second later, CPU usage went to 100%
  3. CPU usage remained at 100% for 6-7 seconds, there was no connection
  4. CPU usage went down to 25%, 1 second later connection came back

This happens seemingly randomly: sometimes it happens 3 times in 30 minutes (like now), sometimes I'm fine for hours.

I have 100/100 Mbps internet connection here, most of the time I had about 90/90 Mbps connection, right now I have 50/90 Mbps according to speedtest, which should be plenty enough for my meetings (nothing else is using the internet connection at the moment.

As for the router setup, I use the following features:

• PPPoE internet connection
  • Single DHCP reservation for my Linux server
  • NO-IP Dynamic DNS setup
  • Both 2.4 and 5 GHz Wi-Fi
  • 2 Virtual Server connections (to access my Linux SSH and website through internet using custom ports)
  • Scheduled reboot once every week

Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this behavior? I can try to switch off features one-by-one to see if maybe some config is causing it, but seeing as the issue is quite random, I'm not sure if I can fully verify it is gone or not.

Now, one last thing I have to mention: that Linux server I'm using, has transmission-daemon torrent client installed, for reasons. I'm not using it overwhelmingly, at any time I have maximum 2-3 enabled torrents. Have been using it all the time since I have this router, and as I mentioned, no issues, but I felt like mentioning it for full picture.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Archer C6 v2.0 intermittent connection drops with high CPU load
2020-12-16 03:37:45
You can stop the torrents for a brief time period to see if that's causing the high CPU utilization and eventually the drops. Videoconferencing is also high CPU demanding, so try to experiment and detect the root cause of the problem.
If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options