AX50 - 5ghz issues, cant use DFS ranges or change width

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-29 10:15:04
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.09

Hi all,

Have recently purchased an Archer AX50 and totally underwhelmed with its 5ghz performance. When setting the channel width and channel to auto, i get a max speed (according to wifi info view) of 867mbs, which is quite a bit under the advertised speed! (i have an AX PCIE card in my PC)

When trying to change the width and the channel to solve this (on auto it defaults to a congested channel at 80mhz), the router just stops broadcasting on 5GHZ, every device on my network suddenly can't see 5GHZ network. 

Weirdly, on wifiinfoview app it shows that country code as DE (i reside, and bought, in the UK), could it be that broadcasting on DFS channels is not allowed in germany and it's blocking itself?

Any help would be appreciated, otherwise this particular router is being returned!

cheers

Options
4 Reply
Re:AX50 - 5ghz issues, cant use DFS ranges or change width
2020-12-29 12:17:26

@dudload 

Make sure you are with the latest drivers for you PCI-E card and the latest FW for the router.

If you recently upgraded your router FW, do a hard reset (Method 1) and re-configure from scratch.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2020-12-29 14:58:42 - last edited 2020-12-29 15:02:51

@dudload 

For your information.

If a wireless router intends to start using any of the DFS channels in the 5 GHz band, it has to perform a so-called "Channel Availability Check" (CAC) first, which is mandated by the law. 

During this check the router scans the DFS channels it intents to use for the presence of radar signals.

Under European regulations this check has to last for a period of at least 10 minutes on channels 120, 124, 128 (yes, really!) and for at least 60 seconds on all other DFS channels. Only if there was no radar signal detected during the CAC the router is allowed to start broadcasting its wireless signal on the designated channels.

Even if you were already using DFS channels, changing some of the settings related to the 5 GHz WiFi will trigger a new Channel Availability Check and you have to wait again for the 5 GHz wireless signal to return.

Furthermore, selecting (for example) Channel 100 and Channel Width 160 MHz will also trigger a 10 minutes long CAC, because with this setting the router will actually be using channels 100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 120, 124, 128.

Options
2021-01-30 12:46:20
thanks - i've still got the issue where it changes back to channel 36 and 80mhz. Unlikely to be near a radar station in central london (zone 1, not near city airport), so not sure what's wrong with this router. Seems to be an issue reported lots elsewhere, so probably time to junk it and get a better one
Options
2021-02-01 12:10:58

@dudload 

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/209342

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2147

Replies: 4

Related Articles