Known issues of TL-WR740N_V4_with firmware version/release 130104

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-02-19 05:10:54
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WR740N

Hardware Version : V4

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hey guys just starting this thread about the latest firmware released by tp-link for TL-WR740N_V4_130104

please share your issues and annoyances , i wonder why the tp-link firmwares are so crappy ...

i m experiencing wireless disconnects every 5 or 10 minutes and all i have to do is too disconnect from the router in windows from Wireless connections panel , and reconnect and it ggets fixed for some time again . i got so frustrated that i changed to openwrt , the disconnection problem is gone but not getting the 150Mbps

cheers
Options
7 Reply
Re:Known issues of TL-WR740N_V4_with firmware version/release 130104
2013-02-19 16:30:56
I don't have this router yet. But i think chaning it to openwrt is not a good choice since it ruins the warranty. why not change the wireless channel when you encounter the dropping issue?
Options
2013-02-19 21:57:12
well i dont know how it goes for you kelly but for me if i buy something and i m not satisfied with it, i dont care much about the warranty, as i was already planning to through it to the bin lol ,
plus to ur worries of voiding ur warranty, it will never be voided if you can revert back to official(tp-link) firmware , as there is no way that i know of to tell what was installed on the router before, and again those 3rd party firmwares are mentioned on the tp-link product information page it only states that tp-link will not provide any support for the routers running 3rd party firmwares but didnt mentioned any warranty void clause , The warranty can only be voided if you brick your router in the process , its been 2 days now running Openwrt , and i m so happy with overall performance , although not getting 150Mbps speed only stuck at 72Mbps , i did try changing wireless channles but no use with tp-link firmware ,but still its very stable now with Openwrt , no more disconnections and no more reboot cycles of the router that were needed with tp-lnik firmware , the UPNP implementation in OpenWrt is superb , i can do skype without any problems for hours but with tp-link firmware its disconnects every 5 to 10 minutes,

lastly if you havn't bought this router i would recommend not buying it at all , during my turmoil i read alot about routers and wireless cards and i came to conclusion most of the routers and wireless cards in the market are not fully complaint to the 802.11n final standard so do a little research and buy a standard complaint router and wireless card , in most cases it will be mentioned on the box.
Options
2013-02-20 00:41:01
My proposition for Wireless Settings - LINK - switch off any "automatic" in router configuration.
Options
Any issues with these settings
2013-02-20 01:43:25

jimasek wrote

My proposition for Wireless Settings - LINK - switch off any "automatic" in router configuration.

are you using tp-link firmware at the moment?? are u experiencing any issues with these settings ?? what is the maximum uptime u get before u have to reboot router?
Options
2013-02-20 01:50:57
This is one of the cheapest routers out there. All we want is that it should provide a stable connection.
Options
2013-02-20 01:59:23

anytimer wrote

This is one of the cheapest routers out there. All we want is that it should provide a stable connection.

exactly mate i agree the least this router can do is provide a stable connection with advertised speed of 150 Mbps on the box ,
i switched to Openwrt and its very stable didnt dropped any connections or need to reboot for the last 3 days ,

i used a ready made image , so that i dont have to do anything on the command line , you can get the image from http://www.ip6.ro/firmware/wr740n/
and read more info about it at http://www.ip6.ro/openwrt/tp-link-wr740n-barrier-breaker/

with this firmware stability issues are gone , its pretty simple to update also, the developer daniel petre has done all the hard work already for us

the added features are as follows :

1. IPv6 support
2. tiny proxy
3. QoS
4, Watchcat ( useful if u want to automate ur router to reboot after a day or two , or when it looses internet connectivity )
5. Dynamic DNS
Options
2013-02-20 02:00:59
are you using tp-link firmware at the moment

At the moment I use WDR4300 with gargoyle, but this router I have in WDS configuration.

are u experiencing any issues with these settings

Before, about one half year ago I made test with WR740N and I put it on my website.

? what is the maximum uptime u get before u have to reboot router?

I don't know.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 765

Replies: 7

Related Articles