Connecting to external hdd remotely

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-14 16:48:04
Model: Archer AX3000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.9

Hi all, i'm sure this has been asked many times but i just cant find any post to help. I've been trying to connect to my external hdd remotely from my iphone and i have not been able to. Tried several different application and still no luck.

Does anyone know which app to use or how to actually get this to work?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Connecting to external hdd remotely
2021-01-14 17:03:37

@JasonY 

Can you give us some more information on what you are trying to achieve?  

Ideally what HDD is it you are running and how is this connected?  When you say you are trying to connect remotely.. do you mean from the internet / outside house or just internally using the WiFi?

Options
2021-01-14 17:21:20
Hi Philbert, My external hdd is connected to my ax3000 router and ive set it up on my home network. I am able to access it from my iPhone when I’m connected to my home network. I’m trying to access the external hdd when I’m not connected to my home network. Example: at work and need a file on external hdd or on holiday want to access movies saved.
Options
2021-01-14 17:38:11

@JasonY 

Got ya now..

Ok so the sharing is only "internal" so you need to be on the local network to access this.

You may be able to accomplish this by creating / setting up a VPN on the router.  That way you can connect to the router remotely and get a valid local IP address, it should then allow you to access the HDD also.

I cant think how you could do this without the VPN active.

Options
2021-01-15 02:40:55

@Philbert I've read about using 3rd party apps but I'm still unable to find any comprehensive information. I just had a quick glance at the related topic section to mine and there were a lot of post regarding not able to access FTP server etc. 

The FAQ provided by tp-link is a bit vague. 

if I can't figure it out, I'll just hire some network person and sort it out. I've spent way too many hours on this. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 602

Replies: 4

Related Articles