tp-link wifi routers pinging tp-link.com

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-13 11:34:15
Model: Archer C60  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.0.0

I have recently installed a pihole to control the DNS queries through our network.  It has revealed some interesting things.  One of them is that every 10 to 15 seconds, all of my TP-Link WiFi routers are making a DNS query to tp-link.com.  Does anyone know what is causing this and how I can shut it off?

Thanks!

Options
6 Reply
Re:tp-link wifi routers pinging tp-link.com
2021-02-13 11:58:23

@FlyBoy72 

If you have your Router cloud enabled (logged in or registered against the TP Link Account) this will need to heartbeat to the cloud server. 

This has been mentioned before on the business server forum and the user blocked this traffic and locked himself out of his own router..

I cant remember the exact addresses at moment, but pretty sure there was 2 of them

Options
2021-02-13 15:52:46

@Philbert 

Thanks for the post.  However, to the best of my knowledge, there is no such thing as Router Cloud on these units.  I have gone through every option I can find and see nothing like that or anything which would cause this action.  

I have blocked the address on the Pi-Hole and it seems to have no effect on the working of the router.  It's just annoying to see all those DNS attempts cluttering up the screen.

Options
2021-02-13 16:01:03
I found the TP-Link Cloud Function. It is under BASIC rather than Advanced setup. However, it is turned off.
Options
2021-02-13 16:51:33 - last edited 2021-02-13 16:54:15

@FlyBoy72 

That will be the one.  Even though its not logged in your side it will likely ping the cloud server incase you ever do decide to register the device with your cloud account probably just doing heartbeats.   I know Ubiquiti and DLink do the same even if they are not enabled for their appropiate clouds. 

If you think necessary you could block the traffic and use local only, I cant foresee any reason that blocking this could cause issues for you.    The joys of the world of IOT! 

Options
2021-02-13 20:59:31 - last edited 2021-02-13 21:01:37

@FlyBoy72 

Beside the TP-Link Cloud service, the router does something to determine whether or not there is a connection to the Internet, which it then indicates by the status of a LED (orange/green).

Of course I don't actually know how they make that determination, but I think the easiest way would be to try to contact a known server on the Internet (in this case tp-link.com would seem natural) and check for a response.

Options
2021-02-14 00:09:37 - last edited 2021-08-23 23:28:46

Check this recommended solution.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1336

Replies: 6

Related Articles