AX50 - 5g wifi: Down speed great, Up slow

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-03 23:53:41
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.9 Build 20200708 rel.55037

Just installed the AX50, upgraded to the latest firmware and migrated from my old router. I have 200/200 internet and when hard wired via ethernet everything works great. Once I switch to 5g wifi, my download speeds are great but my upload are half of what they should be. My android cell phone, connected via 5g wifi works fine. It's just my Dell Laittude 7490 with the Intel AC 8265 card that is not working properly. I updated to the latest Intel driver and rebooted the network and laptop. I also tried turning off AX. QOS is set to normal with the limits set to 500/500. I reset the AX50 and started from scratch with default wifi 5g settings and it's still behaving the same. I switched back to the ISP router and it works fine. It seems to be a handshake issue with the AX50. 

The one speedtest 224/280 is with the ISP router which shows full up and down speeds. Every single test after that one is with the AX50.

Options
2 Reply
Re:AX50 - 5g wifi: Down speed great, Up slow
2021-03-04 14:41:36 - last edited 2021-03-04 14:51:01

@proxybox 

Hi,

That's an interesting find. I never noticed this myself, as I don't have a synchronous Internet connection.

To emulate such a condition I hooked a laptop computer via Ethernet to my ISP's modem router and started the software tool "iPerf" in server mode on it. 

In order to have more data points I first tested with the laptop hooked up via 100 Mbps Fast Ethernet connection and then tested again via a connection that is limited to about 340 Mbps (which I achieved by using a Gigabit Ethernet to USB adapter connected via USB 2.0 port).

The other computer running the iPerf client was connected via Wi-Fi to the AX50.

Below are screenshots of the iPerf results. The runs with option -R ("reverse" mode) test the data throughput in download direction and vice versa the other runs show the data throughput in upload direction.

So the upload speed is always about 40% of the download speed, which is roughly similar to what you are seeing.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what is causing this and I can't offer any solution.

100 Mbps connection:

≈ 340 Mbps connection:

Options
Re:AX50 - 5g wifi: Down speed great, Up slow
2021-03-04 20:22:56 - last edited 2021-03-04 20:24:45

@woozle Interesting find. I tested a 2017 macbook pro just now and it's also behaving the same. I get limited upload. I also changed 5g channels to a non congested one and things improved marginally but the delta between up and down still exists.

On the ISP's router, I had the opposite phenomenon. The laptops worked great both up and down. My cell phone, however, had slow download speeds and fast upload. 5g is still a little rough even though it's been around forever.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 610

Replies: 2

Related Articles