Failed to Connect to Internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-28 19:02:50 - last edited 2021-04-28 19:36:19
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi all, I am attempting to set up my new Deco M9 Plus with a CenturyLink C4000 modem/router combo unit. I have gotten to the point where the Deco attempts to test the internet connection and it fails. There is definitely an internet connection, so that's not the problem. I have put the modem into transparent bridge mode, as suggested, and that did not resolve the issue either. Any suggestions? Are there other settings I need to adjust? 

I should add that I want to make the Deco unit my router (along with 2 slaves) and use full capabilities (not just access point).

This is the modem I am using: https://www.centurylink.com/home/help/internet/modems-and-routers/greenwave-c4000.html

Options
2 Reply
Re:Failed to Connect to Internet
2021-04-28 19:52:26 - last edited 2021-04-28 19:59:21

@DarrenRobert 

Not sure what went wrong, but if you want to set up Deco mesh you'll need to start again from the beginning.

1. If you see one or more Deco M9s in Deco app, remove them in app and reset them

2. Undo all configuration changes you've made on CenturyLink C4000 modem/router, such as "putting the modem into transparent bridge mode". Confirm you have got Internet access back, through C4000.

3. Connect first Deco unit you are going to configure to one of CenturyLink C4000 LAN Ethernet ports, with short good quality Ethernet cable. It'll be your Main Deco. Ideally, do that with Deco unit you haven't used before - just to start fresh. 

4. Configure that Deco through Deco app

DO NOT reconfigure your CenturyLink C4000 router if you can't complete Main Deco M9 initial setup again. That won't help, but could just hinder the troubleshooting. Deco M9 will work just fine, for the purposes of initial setup and configuration, when connected by Ethernet cable to working ISP router. 

If Main Deco still fails on Internet connection test, check Device Table in your C4000 under Modem Status. Do you see Deco listed there? Could be unknown device name but with Deco MAC address you can find on a sticker at the bottom of Deco unit you are configuring.

A) You don't see Deco in Device Table - that means it can't even connect to CenturyLink C4000;

B) You do see Deco in Device Table - it means it has physical connection to CenturyLink C4000, but can't verify Internet connectivity by pinging Web sites or sending DNS queries.

If A - possibly, Deco unit hardware issues, problematic Ethernet cable. Also worth trying connecting Deco to a different LAN port of CenturyLink C4000.

If - you may have changed default content filtering settings on CenturyLink C4000, such as enabling whitelist (if this feature is present) or setting Service Blocking. Review and undo these changes.

Finally, just curious: if I have found correct specs for CenturyLink C4000 - it is quite nice and powerful WiFi 6 router. Why do you need to replace it with WiFi 5 Deco M9 instead?

Don't get me wrong, my Deco mesh runs on M9s and I am quite happy with it, but my router is WiFi 5 and really sucks when it comes to WiFi.

Options
Re:Failed to Connect to Internet
2021-04-29 08:20:01

@DarrenRobert 

Hi,

I guess the main Deco now is red?

If possible, there are some suggestions:

1.Please confirm that you are using the correct connection type on Deco after changing the C4000 as a bridge modem, especially PPPoE or dynamic IP, VLAN or no VLAN;

--here is a simple test: connect a desk laptop via Ethernet cable to C4000 modem and check whether PC could get internet directly;(if yes, it is dynamic IP)               ;

2.Then connect the Deco back to the C4000 and power off the C4000 for about 10-20mins to release the MAC address in case there is any;

3. After powering back the modem, if still no internet service, please go to Deco APP>More>advanced>IPV4 and check whether there is an IP address on this page;

(please make sure the phone Is connected to the wireless network of Deco!)

--if no, MAC clone might be needed: https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2925/

Thank you.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 927

Replies: 2

Related Articles