Extender or Powerline ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Extender or Powerline ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Extender or Powerline ?
Extender or Powerline ?
2021-09-11 08:40:03

Hi,

I have a home gym in the garden and need to replace an old powerline extender. I have bought a tp-link AC2600 as a replacement. I have two questions!

1) Would I be better with a powerline extender, we have new electric cable running to the office and thick walls, so might be better than a wifi extender? Maybe the tp-link AV600 or AV 1000?

2) I have set the AC2600 up and seems to work okay. Blue circle on when running on 2.4GHz. However, sometimes switches to 5GHz and so the blue circle turns red- weak signal? When I did the set up I selected both 2.4GHz and 5GHZ. Should I reset it to just connect to 2.4GHz ?

Main use in the gym is Smart TV (you tube) and mobile phones. Our router is Netgear and is on 5GHz. Thank you for your help. 

Options
1 Reply
Re:Extender or Powerline ?
2021-09-14 08:36:49 - last edited 2021-09-14 08:40:19

@Dulcie  Hello, 

I would recommend powerline units instead of Range Extender if your house has thick walls and the old powerline KIT has worked for a certain time. (means your house powerline environment is pretty fine)

Range extender wireless connect to router and Wi-Fi signal could be blocked by walls, red Led on the range extender means weak signal, and you could locate RE closer to router if possible and check the performance: How to place your wireless Range Extender for optimal reception and performance?

You could consider some powerline kit according to your budget, if your ISP bandwidth is more than 100Mbps, I recommended AV1300 and above for better speed on TV. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 461

Replies: 1

Related Articles