Slow file transfers between two WiFi 6 PCs

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-15 17:32:38
Model: Archer AX73  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.4 Build 20210717

I am experiencing slow SMB file transfers between two computers with Intel AX200 cards.

Both devices have a stable connection of 1201mbps with the router and individually reach more than 700mbps of internet speed per speedtest.

However, when transferring between both computers, the transfer rate remains between 13-17MB/s.

The AX73 router is a new device and it comes to replace an AX10 that worked without problems and in which it reached transfers of up to 40MB/s between the same two devices.

By connecting one of the devices directly to Ethernet I can achieve transfer speeds of even more than 100MB/s. I expected to achieve approximately the same connection speed using WiFi with this new device, or at least faster than the previous router, considering that its theoretical speeds are 4 times higher than the AX10.

Options
9 Reply
Re:Slow file transfers between two WiFi 6 PCs
2021-09-16 09:29:03

@Eddyrrm 

How do you transfer files between the two computers? Is there a USB device plugged into the USB port of the AX73?

Or you just share the file over Wi-Fi, do you use any software to help with the transfer?

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-09-17 19:29:26

Hi @Kevin_Z 

I transfer files between shared folders on 2 Windows PCs. One PC I use as a file server, HTPC and plex server, the other is a laptop.

Capture with the transfer rate obtained using WiFi.

I also tested the transfer speed by connecting a portable HDD to the AX73 and I got about 40-45MB/s read and over 20MB write with the 2 PCs over WiFi, which is in line with other users' reports.

WiFi properties in HTPC

WiFi properties in Laptop

Current WiFi configuration with separated SSID for 2.4GHz and 5GHz

Options
2021-09-17 20:19:44

I just ran a new test, this time I ran a transfer from the USB drive on the AX73 to the HTPC (one 4GB file) and simultaneously ran a Speedtest on the laptop. Obtaining a large decrease in speed when running the upload test. 75 mbps instead of over 400 mbps

I would like to know if this is a normal behavior or if there is something that could be affecting the speeds when one computer on the network uploads while another download.

I no longer have the AX10 that I used to use but knowing that the transfers between computers were around 40MB / s makes me think that there is some problem that could be reviewed for a next firmware update.

Options
2021-09-18 01:44:29

@Eddyrrm 

I honestly cannot tell you whether this is normal or not when transferring between two devices in the LAN over Wi-Fi, but we will try to find it out with the support engineers, please check your email and confirm.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-11-29 14:33:06

@Eddyrrm 

I also find this problems. 

I had changed c2300 to ax73,and usb sharing speed (50 r/w)  dropped to (45/20 r/w). 

when I use lan cable ,it has 90/60

Options
2021-11-30 03:35:26

@alphald 

Hello, I want to know if OFDMA is enabled or disabled on the AX73? Try disabling OFDMA, then reboot the router and reconnect to the Wi-Fi network to confirm if the transfer speed will be better. OFDMA is generally designed to allow simultaneous low-data-rate transmission from several users, we can see if it affects the high transfer in the network. 

Options
2021-11-30 03:52:16 - last edited 2021-11-30 03:53:31

@Kevin_Z 

Thank you for reply.

I have tried as you said (disable and reboot),and nothing changed.

I also tried twt, zero wait dfs,wmm,nat,upnp...etc before

Another thing, when I turned off  dlna in tplink usb setting, the LAN cable connections also droped to 55/30.

I think It shouldn't be slower than wifi5 archer c2300

Options
2021-11-30 04:40:59

@alphald 

I used wifi6 5ghz 160mhz , and it shows 1200/1200 wifi speed in win10. It's no different with lan at fast or speedtest

I think it should be at least 70/50 with wifi 5ghz, but it only has 50/20, and sometimes 50 dropped to 5~10 in 2~3 second.

Options
2021-12-01 03:01:44

@alphald 

We have reported the issue to the support engineers, they will likely reach out to you via email to continue to troubleshoot your issue.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 2045

Replies: 9

Related Articles