Firewall - disable

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Firewall - disable

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
14 Reply
Re:Firewall - disable
2021-11-04 12:11:34

@wayne5w 

Hi, based on your description, I tend to think you might want to turn off the NAT feature on the Deco X90 which is not supported on Deco X90 currently.

If Netgear Nighthawk RAX200 supported multinets and ACL(or VLAN), you could still put 2*Deco  X90 into access point mode with separate subnets since I have seen a similar case with our business router, like ER605 or ER7206.

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-11-04 13:32:53

@Alexandre. 

That's a good idea. Big change though and I am worried about putting to many decices on the main rotuer. The other benefit of the Decos was spereading the load.

Thanks.

Options
2021-11-04 13:54:09

@TP-Link 

Are there any plans to allow NAT to be disabed? Or to allow open NAT?

And how about the firewall? Any plans to allow that to be switched off? Cleary possible as in access point mode the firewall is off.

Options
2021-11-04 14:53:08

wayne5w wrote

@Alexandre. 

That's a good idea. Big change though and I am worried about putting to many decices on the main rotuer. The other benefit of the Decos was spereading the load.

Thanks.

@wayne5w 

Any decent DHCP server can handle a thousand or so clients that renew IP address twice a day. In your network these DHCP queries will be coming by Ethernet, and look like requests from wired clients. Your DHCP service inside main router will be very much idle.

The concern with routers is too many wireless clients. Get too many and WiFi performance will be awful. 500 is too many, and it makes sense to spread wireless load over Deco X90s. If two is not enough, you could add more, in Acess Point mode, without messing with your router configuration.

This is what I've done for my household and it works very well. My router manages home network: DNS, DHCP, default gateway, IP address reservations for devices such as backup server, file server, networking printer. Deco covers my house by WiFi signal, in Access Point mode.

If I ever need to replace Deco WiFi mesh by something else, I can do it without impacting my network setup. I hardly have 30-40 wireless devices in my house, I think you might appreciate you don't need to redo home network for 500 devices, just because you want different WiFi mesh.

In my example I started with 2 Deco units, later added one more, later - one more. I now have 4 Deco units. Seamless WiFi coverage upgrade for home network without its reconfiguration.

That, by the way, is applicable to any brand of WiFi mesh, not just Deco, if you want worry free home network.

Options
Related Articles