Streaming on Archer A8

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Streaming on Archer A8

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Streaming on Archer A8
Streaming on Archer A8
2021-11-15 04:01:21 - last edited 2021-11-15 05:00:39
Model: Archer A8  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Wondering if anyone can assist with an issue that I've encountered.

Scenario 1:
Modem / Router: Archer VR1600v (WiFi active – Pushing out signal on 5ghz & 2.4ghz bandwiths).
Internet: NBN 50 – Speed Test confirms DL 48Mbps / UL 12Mbps / Ping 9ms

Everything works fine in close proximity to the modem, but no service beyond 10-15 metres from device. The device lives next to my TV and so HD streaming is perfect but can't get WiFi upstairs on any device. Therefore, I've bought a new router to improve WiFi coverage. The router is TPLink / Archer A8.

Now..

Scenario 2:
Modem:
Archer VR1600v (WiFi disabled).
Router: TP Link Archer A8 (connected to modem via Ethernet cable, sending out WiFi signal on 5ghz & 2.4ghz bandwiths)

Internet: NBN 50 – Speed Test confirms DL 50Mbps / UL 12Mbps / Ping 9ms

Everything works fine throughout the house until I want to stream live TV. I can connect to the service but encounter lots of buffering and stuttering. For some reason, the A8 seems to be throttling the WiFi signal to my TV / Firestick / Chromecast devices and I cannot work out why.

Have tried various setups including connecting the A8 to the TV via Ethernet, turning off 2.4ghz so only using 5ghz and vice -versa, but nothing seems to resolve the issue.

Does anyone have any ideas why the A8 is struggling when I want to watch streaming services but is fine for everything else ?

Any pointers would be hugely appreciated.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Streaming on Archer A8
2021-11-16 06:48:09

@JB2111 

As per your description, it seems that the VR1600v is working as a modem router, and the Archer A8 is a wireless router, right? What if you turn the VR1600v into a modem-only device, and set up the A8 as the main router/gateway? Or what if you leave the VR1600v in the modem router but turn the A8 in AP mode, will it help?

BTW, how about the speed on the TV, is it normal? Is the TV connecting to A8 5G network?

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-11-18 04:13:28
When the A8 is serving the WiFi signal, video streaming is rubbish. When the VR1600v is serving the WiFi signal, video streaming is good but I have no signal in other areas.
Options
2021-11-18 05:46:33

@JB2111 

What is the working modem of the Archer A8 now? Which network layout are you using?

1: VR1600v (bridge mode/modem-only)---Archer A8 (Router mode)

2: VR1600v (modem router mode)---Archer A8 (Access Point mode)

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 465

Replies: 3

Related Articles