Brand new Deco W7200 Mesh Network (2 units) constantly disconnects WIFI calls for iphones

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Brand new Deco W7200 Mesh Network (2 units) constantly disconnects WIFI calls for iphones

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-14 17:29:10
Model: Deco W3600  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Just set this up with the defaults outta the box.  Definitely an improvement on speed from my old Spectrum router...HOWEVER, my family (that uses Apple products) constantly complains that their wifi phone calls constantly drop connection and I see them running to different parts of the house.  I have the 2 units separated by about 40 feet on alternate ends of the house.  I saw that someone said when they disconnected the 2nd unit, that their iphone issues stopped...I'm going to try that right now, but in doing that, I just took down 50% of my network and thus, makes this system junk if I have to disconnect one unit in order for my devices to connect and stay connected.  There has to be something that can be done to fix this issue....Anyone else experience this and have a fix?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Brand new Deco W7200 Mesh Network (2 units) constantly disconnects WIFI calls for iphones
2022-01-15 02:11:46

@Livento 

You said "2 units separated by about 40 feet on alternate ends of the house." It is possible that at least some of issues are because Satellite Deco is too far from Main Deco. If your Main Deco is at one end of the house, you should place Satellite Deco unit in the middle of the house. That would be proper placement for 2-unit WiFi mesh system (of any brand, not just Deco).

On iPhones, disable MAC address randomization for Deco SSID.

"I saw that someone said when they disconnected the 2nd unit, that their iphone issues stopped..." - this is because with single unit it is now not a mesh, but standalone router. 

I am assuming this is your first try with WiFi mesh, and you only had standalone WiFi router(s) before. Which means, you don't really know how iPhones handle WiFi mesh and if issues at your house are because of Deco or because of iPhones, or what specific requirements Apple has for WiFi mesh to be compatible with iPhones. Check Apple support forums, you might find good info there from people who dealt with issues from WiFi mesh systems.

You may also find there recommendations on which brand of WiFi mesh is iPhone friendly. Hopefully you've got Deco set from retailer with return policy.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 820

Replies: 1

Related Articles