Can't go back to standard ethernet connection after my TP-Link Archer C50

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-26 15:22:01
Model: Archer C50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello there,

I know my question doesn't really concern TP-Link but I can't find any answers elsewhere…

Let me explain:

Back in 2019 I was living in a house without any ethernet wall socket and I needed to connect my PC without buying a wireless network adapter. So I decided to buy the TP-Link Archer C50 (this one exactly: https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B071RSD473/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1) to catch the wi-fi network and allow me to plug my PC on it with an ethernet cable. I wasn't able to do the settings myself in order to have this result so I ended up asking to TP-Link support which kindly did it remotely (or told me to do so, I don't remember).

Anyway, I moved in my new home in early December, and there are ethernet wall sockets and I was very happy to simply plug my PC.

However, I have a problem, a message is saying sometimes "An Ethernet cable looks like a telephone cable but with larger connectors on the ends. Plug this cable into the opening on the back or side of the computer. Make sure the other end of the cable is plugged into the router. If that does not help, try using a different cable", and sometimes simply "An ethernet cable is not connected properly or is damaged". I changed the cable several times, I checked that the box is well plugged etc.

BUT I turned on my PC for the last time late November and today is the first time I use it since then (and since we moved in) and Dropbox is synchronizing and is able to show me folders I created this week, even if my computer tells me I have no internet connection… How is it possible?

Also, when I look for answers on forums, people with the same message all say they were on a wi-fi router before… That's why I'm here. Is it possible that the problem comes from wrong settings instead of hardware?

Thanks a lot.

Dimz

Options
7 Reply
Re:Can't go back to standard ethernet connection after my TP-Link Archer C50
2022-01-26 22:28:04

@dimzconcept 

Hi,

Do you have access to more than one Ethernet wall socket that provides Internet connection in your building ? If yes, do you have the same problem when connected to another wall socket?

If your computer runs Windows 10, right-click on the Network icon in the taskbar and select "Open network & Internet settings". In the Window that opens click on "Ethernet" and then click on the connection that is displayed near the top of that "Ethernet" page. Scroll down a bit and verify that under IP settings it says something like "Automatic / DHCP". Also, since you are there also check the information that is shown in the "Properties" section. Do you see an IP address and one or two DNS IP addresses there?

Options
2022-01-27 06:48:16

Hi @woozle and thank you for your prompt reply,

No I only have it in my room unfortunately…

I followed your instructions: under IP settings is well mentioned "Automatic (DHCP)", but in "Properties section" I only have this:
"Manufacturer: Rivet Networks
Description: Killer E2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Driver version: 9.0.0.42
Physical address (MAC): 44-8A-5B-5E-A5-78"

What should I do?
Thanks a lot,
Dimz

Options
2022-01-27 17:25:00

@dimzconcept 

It appears to me there is no Ethernet connection (or at least no properly working Ethernet connection).

Since this computer connected fine to your Archer C50 I think we can assume the computer's network card is okay.

You also said you already tried different Ethernet cables.

I think the next step would be to have someone check the Ethernet wall socket in you room. Wiring up an Ethernet wall socket can be quite tricky and certainly requires more diligence than wiring up power wall sockets or light switches. So there is a chance the wiring wasn't done right. 

Options
2022-01-27 20:32:14

@woozle Thanks for your prompt reply.

OK then, I will ask a friend to come and try with his computer to check if the problem really comes from the wall socket.
I'll give news here. :)

Thanks again, cheers!

Dimz

Options
2022-01-30 21:20:28

Hi @woozle,

So my father came with his network cable tester and it appears that the wall socket works perfectly fine. Also, he brought his laptop and plugged it, and had a good internet connection with no issue.

That means the problem really comes from my PC.

What do you think?

Options
2022-01-31 19:33:31

@dimzconcept 

Earlier you mentioned you have moved to another home. Have you visibly checked that the Ethernet port of your PC is still in good shape? Just to make sure nothing bad happened during the transport.

Other than that I don't know what could be wrong. I have never had an Ethernet port fail on me in over 25 years.

Options
2022-01-31 19:44:24

Hi @woozle, thanks again for your prompt reply.

Honestly I think it is, because I'm very precautious when it's about my computer and stuff. And also because, when I was looking for answers on forums, every guy who had the same problem as me were in the same situation: they had the same error message and before that they were on a wi-fi router.

But maybe I should buy another network card…

Thanks for the help,
Dimz

Options