3 routers on 1 network problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-29 17:49:14 - last edited 2022-03-29 17:55:14

I have internet via an Antena and I have 3 zones where I want to add internet routers. Each zone has 30meters of cable between the routers. I have been trying all day to get them to work.. they work for a while then one of the areas stops connecting to the internet and I have to set the router back to factory setting and start again.

Here is the setup

Antena has an IP of 192.168.1.1

connected to WAN port off

Router 1 (TL-WR841N) with settings      LAN IP 192.168.0.1      WAN IP 192.168.1.15 (SET by DYNAMIC IP for ISP)         DEFAULT GATEWAY 192.168.1.1    DHCP ON        WIFI ON

connected to LAN port with CAT 5 Cable to

Router 2 (TL-WR841N) with settings       LAN IP 192.168.0.2.     DHCP OFF      WIFI ON

and also connected LAN port with CAT 5 cable to

Router 3 (TL-WR841N) with settings       LAN IP 192.168.0.3.      DHCP OFF      WIFI ON

It worked fine for a while... then after leaving it a few minutes Router 3 still had WIFI but no internet access. 

[ANTENNA] - [ROUTER 1] - [ROUTER 2]

|

[ROUTER 3]

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Jules

Options
2 Reply
Re:3 routers on 1 network problem
2022-03-29 21:14:36 - last edited 2022-03-29 21:16:10

@Ondulado 

Hi,

Since all three routers are of the same model TL-WR841N you should be able to single out where the problem lies by interchanging the routers with each other.

So, Router 2 and Router 3 are both set to "Access Point" mode" and are configured similarly, with basically the only differences being that the Static LAN IP's are different (192.168.0.2 vs. 192.168.0.3) and maybe different SSID names for the Wi-Fi?

Is it always Router 3 that looses the Internet connection?

If so, then try what happens if you swap Router 2 and Router 3 with each other, without making any changes to their settings.

I mean just unplug Router 2 and bring it to the place where Router 3 currently is located and plug it into that cable and then bring Router 3 to the place where Router 2 originally was and connect it there.

If it turned out that now Router 2 loses the Internet connection, then this could point to a cable issue. You could verify that by connecting this router to Router 1 by using another cable. (just bring Router 2 to where Router 1 is located and use any additional short Ethernet cable you have available) 

If after swapping Router 2 and Router 3 with each other it is still Router 3 that loses the Internet connection, then swap Router 3 with Router 1. This will require more effort, as you have to re-configure Router 3 for use as the main router and re-configure Router 1 to become an access point. But it could help you in finding out whether "Router 3" may have some sort of fault.

Options
Re:3 routers on 1 network problem
2022-04-01 23:06:27 - last edited 2022-04-01 23:17:57

@Ondulado 

One more thing shoud be considered here - there are two variants of 841N - with/without dedicated AP mode (Case 1/Case 2).

To be sure that your setup is optimal and exclude any misconfiguration depending on your 841N version configure them accordingly.

Case 1: ethernet connections should be: Router 1 LAN port => Router 2 WAN port and Router 1 LAN port = > Router 3 WAN port.

Case 2: ethernet connections should be: Router 1 LAN port => Router 2 LAN port and Router 1 LAN port = > Router 3 LAN port.

In both cases it's preferable that the LAN IP address of Router 2 (192.168.0.2) and Router 3 (192.168.0.3) are outside the Router 1 DHCP server pool. Preferably static IPs with DHCP Server Disabled.

After setting the Router 2 and Router 3 properly restart them both so the configuration changes would take effect.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 505

Replies: 2

Related Articles