Deco X20 Version Differences

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-20 05:48:41 - last edited 2022-04-20 06:10:53
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version:

The current version of the Deco X20 on shelves is mainly v4.
Intentionally or not TP-Link Retailers have NOT been made aware of the differences, as such the listing still advertises features that do NOT exist in version 4.

Specifically;

Half the CPU cores and runs at significantly slower clock speeds (ie: Dual Core 1ghz vs older Model was Quad Core 1.5ghz

Does not include Anti-Virus (now a paid subscription), since like v1.2 I believe.

I get the CPU shortage, but to-date TP-Link have NOT directly answered people when they ask for the HARDWARE differences between MODELS, instead respond with Firmware differences.

I will ask again directly, what are the hardware differences between hardware versions?

Here is what I could ascertain, but no details on RAM, which would be important with many on-line gamers.
v1     Free Anti-Virus with 1ghz Quad Core CPU
v1.2  Free Anti-Virus with 1ghz Dual Core CPU
v2     Paid Anti-Virus & Quad Core 1.5 Ghz CPU
v4     Paid No Anti-Virus & Dual Core 1.0 Ghz

I am considering this product, but wondering if I should spend effort locating a v2 unit with the Quad Core 1.5ghz CPU or will the v4 slower 1.0ghz Dual core CPU suffice.
Usage will be with a gigabit connection, and around 80 devices, 20 with WiFi6.  Considering the 3 units with wired Ethernet connectivity

Are there any performance comparisons? Happy for a much slowe processor if the units perform the same due to other improvements.

Eero published they were forced into a similar position (Quad to Dual) same CPU speed due to the chip shortage, but were able to expand the SOC functionality to perform more processing on-chip, eroding most of the performance difference.  They do acknowledge that the lower core count, will impact device speed when a large number of devices have connected.

Given TP-Link have both halved the CPU cores and significantly lowered the speed of the CPU, and official explanation is requested, especially while stock of v2 can still be found.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco X20 Version Differences
2022-04-24 11:30:44 - last edited 2022-04-24 11:33:34

@SPAM_Me_NOT 

Here is what I could ascertain, but no details on RAM, which would be important with many on-line gamers.
v1     Free Anti-Virus with 1ghz Quad Core CPU
v1.2  Free Anti-Virus with 1ghz Dual Core CPU
v2     Paid Anti-Virus & Quad Core 1.5 Ghz CPU
v4     Paid No Anti-Virus & Dual Core 1.0 Ghz

Hi, Thank you very much for your time and patience.

There is a minor mistake.

v1     Free HomeCare    & 1.0 Ghz Quad Core CPU
v1.2  Free HomeCare    & 1.0 Ghz Dual Core CPU
v2     Free HomeCare    & 1.5 Ghz Quad Core CPU
v4     Paid HomeShield  & 1.0 Ghz Dual Core CPU

HomeShild has antivirus as well and it looks different than HomeCare and it is called "Real-Time Protection"

Deco X20 V4 has a new chipset and CPU performance depends on more than cores and clock speed.

And there are slight differences in the network performance of different hardware versions otherwise it will not be named the same.

Best regards.

Options
Re:Deco X20 Version Differences
2022-04-29 04:20:57

Thanks  @David-TP , so key difference is you have to pay for Anti_Virus with v4.
While 90% of the network traffic won't hit the CPU, typically dual core units struggle with the high amount of clients, so really keen to see some v4 reviews.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 2337

Replies: 2

Related Articles