Deco Wifi not working after Internet upgrade

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-01 14:54:05 - last edited 2022-06-02 00:54:20
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.1 Build 20210204

I have a Deco that has been working great for about a year.  I recently switched from one Internet provider to another and got a new modem. I plugged the Deco into the new modem and all wired clients immediately had Internet connectivity.  All wireless clients had no problem connecting to the Deco Wifi, but some, especially the ipads, cannot browse the Internet.  When I open chrome and navigate to a website I immediately get a message that the socket was terminated and the page will not load.

I have no problems connecting to WiFi on any of my devices.  I just cannot browse once connected.

My Deco is in router mode.  I have disabled beamforming and disabled roaming for the ipads but that changed nothing.  I disconnected both my remote decos and that changed nothing.  I have no restrictions and all filtering and antivirus in the Deco is turned off.

The WiFi should be independent of the Internet service so I am stumped as to what might be causing the problem.  If I cannot find a solution my next step will be to hard reset the Decos and start over.  I don't really want to do that though because I have named all of my devices and there is no way to back that up.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Options
7 Reply
Re:Deco Wifi not working after Internet upgrade
2022-06-02 07:16:18

@daveb131 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Maybe we can test something on the iPad.

May I know the model number of your iPad?

Have you tried to reset the network settings on the iPad and start over?

After that, you could start checking the IP address on the iPad and make sure it has a valid IP address.

later you could do a simple test: enable guest network with 2.4ghz only with no security and check whether the iPad is able to get internet service via the guest network.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

--------------------------

Deco X50-PoE is ready for your advice. If you are interested, please help us complete the following survey.

Deco X50-POE Survey

Options
2022-06-02 13:54:48

@David-TP Thanks for the response.

I don't think the iPad is the problem.  I just used that as an example.  I actually have four different model iPads connected to this network and all of them do not work.  The problem is also not restricted to the iPads.  I just used them as an example.  I have several televisions that are connected to the Deco and they do not work either.

I have done just about every combination of guest network configuration on the router including changing every setting imaginable.  The devices all have no problem connecting to the Deco and they all get an IP address that is in the correct subnet.  They just cannot access the Internet reliably after connection.

To reiterate, the Deco worked perfectly for a year.  Nothing changed except that I switched Internet providers. That in itself should not have caused any problems. The Deco got a new WAN address and all wired devices seem to be working fine.  No drops, no lost packets, etc.  The problem is only with the wireless devices.

I think the next step will probably be to hard reset all of the Deco devices.  All I can think of is that somehow the WiFi is still trying to route through the old gateway or something crazy like that.  I have had problems in the past with restrictions that I delete still staying in effect so there are definitely some bugs in the firmware.  

Options
2022-06-07 14:03:34

@David-TP I finally bit the bullet and did a hard reset on the Deco, but unfortunately it still does not work.  Now the Wifi connected devices either connect to the Deco and report no internet access or every site I try to access tells me connection reset or unable to establish SSL connection.

I even tried taking each of the three units and resetting them and configuring them as the main deco.  I had the same result on all of them.

It looks like my $300 Deco system has become an expensive paperweight.

Options
2022-06-08 06:43:05

@daveb131 

Thanks for the update.

May I know who is your new internet service provider? and the model number of your new cable modem?

Have you tried to change the WAN DNS server on the Deco to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4:

How to change DNS server settings on my Deco?

If still nothing happened, would it be possible to record a short video clip about "the Wifi connected devices either connect to the Deco and report no internet access or every site I try to access tells me connection reset or unable to establish SSL connection" to support.forum@tp-link.com(Please add forum ID 556954).

At the same time, would you please also add the model numbers of all the devices that you had issues with?

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2022-06-08 13:54:37

@David-TP 

I switched from Suddenlink cable to Frontier fiber.  The fiber connection is through a Frontier ONT model number fox222.

I have tried switching the DNS to 8.8.8.8 and to several other DNS providers at both the router level and at individual devices.  It makes no difference.  I didn't really expect that to be the problem since all wired devices work perfectly using the same DNS and Internet connection.

The Wifi problem is not isolated to one or two devices.  Every device in my home that is connected to Wifi is not working.  Intermittently on the iPad I will get something that comes in over the Wifi like a Google Chat message which makes me think that the Internet is not completely blocked.  When I try to browse the Internet on the iPad I will either get a message that is could not negotiate SSL or that invalid data was received causing a break in the connection.  No pages will ever display.

I will try to get a video from the iPad and send it to support.

Options
2022-06-08 13:57:07

@David-TP 

One other thing to note with this is that I have another router that I hooked up because I needed Wifi and it works perfectly.  I also talked to Frontier and they said they do not require MAC cloning or any other setup at the router level.

Options
2022-06-09 02:32:52

@daveb131 

Thank you very much for the update and I also got your email.

Your case has been forwarded to the senior engineers for further assistance.

Please check the email for more suggestions.

Best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 710

Replies: 7

Related Articles