Can I bridge a TP Link AC1900 but Asus is main modem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-06 15:45:21 - last edited 2022-07-20 09:53:10

Hi

I have a TP Link AC1900 and a  Tp Link RE650 WIFI extender. However my main router is Asus RT AX86U

I have 2 questions

1. Can I bridge the router so that I can used this to get better wifi in dead areas or what can be done with teh TP AC1900
  2. Will teh wifi extender work iwth the Asus router

Thanks

Options
3 Reply
Re:Can I bridge a TP Link AC1900 but Asus is main modem
2022-06-06 16:33:56

@Funkyirishman 

1.If your TP-Link router is Archer A9/C9 you could use WDS feature to do that.

If that doesn't work with your main Asus router, you could use Archer A9/C9 in AP mode for the same purpose.

2. It's quite possible that the RE650 would work with your Asus main router.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-06-07 09:43:08

terziyski wrote

@Funkyirishman 

1.If your TP-Link router is Archer A9/C9 you could use WDS feature to do that.

If that doesn't work with your main Asus router, you could use Archer A9/C9 in AP mode for the same purpose.

2. It's quite possible that the RE650 would work with your Asus main router.

@terziyski 

Thanks got the Re650 set up and added ext to this. So have Ring Floodlight connected to this. Does this work seamless so laptop phone will pick this up if its strongest signal and there will be no drop off?

In relation to the Archer C9

I will be able to add another WiFi access point to my network but unlike mesh system it’ll not work in tandem with Asus. That correct?

If I just add TPLINK as WiFi access point to Asus router  will this create 2 independent wireless networks. It won’t automatically switch you to the Access Point with the strongest signal?

Thanks

Options
2022-06-07 11:57:35 - last edited 2022-06-07 13:15:05

@Funkyirishman 

You probably asking about the seamless roaming offered by the mesh systems.

If your RE650 is HW v2 and above it supports OneMesh. But it won't work in mesh with the Asus router because OneMesh is a TP-Link proprietary technology.

Archer C9 doesn't have OneMesh implemented and it will work as a regular extender to Asus router in WDS mode - no seamless roaming again.

Archer C9 in AP mode connected to Asus router could be configured with the same or different SSISs  - it won't matter how you name them.

And again you won't have mesh network - you probably will experience the switching between the two routers when you move around your property.

There's an upcoming standard which is called EasyMesh, and will allow users to use different vendors devices in a mesh network, but not with the devices you already have.

If you can implement Archer C9 in AP mode connected to Asus router it would be the best option in regard to speed and stability.

Also you can read through this FAQ to see how you can mitigate the lack of seamless roaming in your network.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 7155

Replies: 3

Related Articles