Ping Spikes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Ping Spikes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Ping Spikes
Ping Spikes
2022-06-21 14:38:06 - last edited 2024-06-21 23:25:31
Tags: #Ping Issues
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.14 Build 20211118 rel.43110(4555)

I recently switched to this router and I am having ping spikes when on wi-fi. I tried testing with a phone app and also my brother that is connected to the WiFi has ping spikes when playing games. My computer is connected directly with an Ethernet cable to the router and I am not having any issues. Didn't experience any ping spikes on old router. Already turned off OneMesh which helped a little bit but the ping spikes are still there.

Edit: I was testing again and found out this is an issues only on the 2.4ghz band. On the 5ghz I had just tiny ping spikes compared to the 2.4ghz band

Edit2: Nevermind the ping lags are there even on the 5ghz but they are a lot less common then on the 2.4ghz

Edit3: Changed the channel on the 2.4ghz band to 3 and on the 5ghz one to 48. It seems that the ping spikes are completely gone on the 5ghz band (did around 500 pings and had no spikes)  but on the 2.4ghz channel it seems that it did not help at all, maybe it even got worse actually.
Edit4: Found out the ping spikes happen even on my computer that is connected with LAN. But they are not really noticeable, the ping goes usually from 1 to 15 which is pretty okay but it is bothering me a bit.

Edit5: So I have reverted the firmware to the one the router came with ( 1.0.9 Build 20210322 rel. 73262(4555) ) and the ping spikes on my computer (connected on lan) and my 5GHz band seem to be completely gone now. I am guessing the 2.4GHz ping spikes are related to firmware so I don't know what else I could currently try doing.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Ping Spikes-Solution
2022-06-23 08:24:16 - last edited 2022-06-23 11:07:08

@pandamidar 

As per your description, it seems the ping spikes mainly happen on the 2.4G wireless connection, I would assume the 2.4G wireless networks could be congested in your area, please run a Wi-Fi analyzer on your phone to observe the networks, then try choosing a channel that has less interference with others to monitor the connectivity again. You can also change the channel width to 40MHz.

As you already mentioned, the WN721 is quite old and it only supports the 2.4G connection, maybe it's time to switch to a dual-band adapter now.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Ping Spikes
2022-06-22 02:15:22 - last edited 2022-06-22 07:26:45

Hello @pandamidar 

Please refer to this guide to do some basic troubleshooting if the ping is high when connected to the router:

What should I do if I get the high ping value from TP-Link Wi-Fi router? (Case 3)

If this doesn't help, please show us how you test the ping, and what are the 2.4G settings on the C6.

BTW, what is the brand and model of the wireless card on the computer that connects to the C6 2.4G network? Please check and install the latest driver for it.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:Ping Spikes-Solution
2022-06-23 08:24:16 - last edited 2022-06-23 11:07:08

@pandamidar 

As per your description, it seems the ping spikes mainly happen on the 2.4G wireless connection, I would assume the 2.4G wireless networks could be congested in your area, please run a Wi-Fi analyzer on your phone to observe the networks, then try choosing a channel that has less interference with others to monitor the connectivity again. You can also change the channel width to 40MHz.

As you already mentioned, the WN721 is quite old and it only supports the 2.4G connection, maybe it's time to switch to a dual-band adapter now.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Ping Spikes
2022-06-23 11:10:18

@Kevin_Z Okay thank you for the help! I already tried changing the channels but it didn't really help so I don't expect much from that but I will try it again and I'll try changing the channel width. I will be switching to the dual band adapter in a few days. I will let you know how it goes.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1029

Replies: 3

Tags

Ping Issues
Related Articles