Deco unstable or high ping

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-19 22:06:52 - last edited 2022-07-19 22:18:39
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.7 Build 20210819

Good day!

The setup i have:

Router

Switch

3x Deco M5

2x Deco M4

Decos work in access point mode.

4 Deco's (including Main) are connected to Switch via ethernet cables through separated ports. One deco is connected via wi-fi to Main Deco M5:

The problem:

Unstable ping when connected to "ethernet decos" via wi-fi.

Example of how it looks like when im pinging my local network:

Let alone spikes to 20-40's, which sometimes can be 100-200, the thing that troubles me the most is that the minimum "stable" ping is always between 2-8 count.

Even with cheapest router never in my life i saw local ping higher than 1. Sure, it may rise when there's a semi-heavy downloading going on, but that's not the case, this is a no activity ping or just browsing. Previously, before buying Decos, i had the same network setup with 4 different routers and local ping was stable 1.

It doesn't matter which model im connected to via wi-fi, M4 or M5, minimum always looks like this:

Why is it like this and is there anything can be done to change it?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco unstable or high ping
2022-07-19 23:27:30 - last edited 2022-07-19 23:29:47

@pavel_105 

Hey

I have to be honest and say I think you are looking for a problem here that doesn't exist. 

If you are getting pings in the average of single digits, that is a superb result over WiFi and well within what would be expected.  It would be virtually impossible to get a 1ms ping over WiFi on any device, sadly if you say you have experienced this before over WiFi it's likely an error or false positive, I will try to explain.

WiFi is a shared medium, by that it is meant that only 1 device can connect / talk to the AP at any time.  Therefore when you send a PING over WiFi, the device has to negotiate with the AP to allocate it a time slot to send that data (the ping itself).   Should another device be using the airspace at that time, your ping will be delayed for a period of time (called a guard interval) to avoid a collision.   Should it have a collision (two devices sending at same time) its further delayed as this is retried and a guard is applied.    All this "negotiation" with the AP delays the actual ping being sent, usually by 2-8ms per ping, this will also be the same on the return.

Even in the vvv best of WiFi networks, 3-8ms for WiFi ping is an awesome result, and yes this will jump to 50, even 100 if there is others sending / collisions / retries etc happen. 

I have installed hundreds of WiFi networks and what you show as a ping result is perfect, even the vendor HP say anything under 20ms local for WiFi is great.

Honestly, dont think you have an issue here and its working as expected.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 762

Replies: 1

Related Articles