Archer C5 V4 - Option for WDS Bridging.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-12 17:30:48
Model: Archer C5  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 3.16.0 0.9.1 v6015. 0 Build 220524 Rel. 36466n

Hardware version : Archer C5 v4 00000004

Firmware version : 3.16.0 0.9.1 v6015. 0 Build 220524 Rel. 36466n

I have been using this router for the past 4 years, it has been serving me well and I am happy with the product. This router was provided by my ISP. 

Recently I have changed my ISP, and i have been thinking of re using this router as a wifi extender/WDS, along with my existing new ISP connection. 

But the admin panel on this router doesn't show any option to enable such functionality. Does this router support wifi extender or WDS mode? If yes, can you provide me the firmware that will enable the functionality. 

Thanks in advance. 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer C5 V4 - Option for WDS Bridging.
2022-10-13 00:29:27

@Hari_vp 

Have you checked in Advanced > Wireless > Advanced Settings page ?

Here's the Archer C5 v4 user guide.

Keep in mind that this device is targeted to ISPs and its FW is customized - only the ISP can help you if this option is missing.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-10-13 02:43:45

@terziyski 

Yes I checked for option to turn on WDS bridging in the admin panel, and it is not there. My ISP said that they cannot do anything as they do not have any firmware control other than the stock FW they get out of the box. 

Does this mean that i am not going to be able to re-use this router without custom firmware? 

Options
2022-10-13 14:36:04 - last edited 2022-10-14 04:19:51

@Hari_vp 

Well, you can always use the device in AP mode (if your infrastructure allows this) - it involves just re-configuring the device.

This way you would have more stable and faster connection to your main router.

Otherwise, there's a FW release for Archer C5 v4, which you could try to install and check if the WDS feature is available - here.

]If you decide to go this way, keep in mind that the operation could be successful or not, i.e. you could receive an error message during the update procedure (Case 1).

Also, If you can obtain the current FW from your ISP, is a good idea, which will allow you to revert back to the current FW, if needed.

But you would do this on your own risk, because this device is not officially supported by TP-Link - like I posted, it has a customized FW and it's meant to be provided by ISPs only.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1429

Replies: 3

Related Articles