C6 AC1200 as a Range Extender and then Ethernet to PCs?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-26 12:03:19 - last edited 2022-11-28 16:58:27
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.11.0 Build 220425 Rel.61837n(4555)

Hello!

So I just bought an Archer C6 AC1200 MU-MIMO router, and the network configuration I am trying to achieve is the following: I have a modem/router from my ISP that is connected to the DSL line and transmits a Wi-Fi network. I want my Archer C6 to be able to pick up that wireless signal in order to gain internet access (I don't care if it re-transmits it), and then connect one or more PCs to the Archer C6 via Ethernet so that they can have internet access as well. This is what I am currently doing with a TL-WR940N, but I need to ugprade that because it only supports LAN ports of up to 100 Mb/s.

I have tried enabling WDS bridging, but I may be doing something wrong because, while it surveys and connects to the ISP's router, it doesn't show that is has any internet connection, and the PC connected via Ethernet to the C6 does not have internet access. I can also see both wireless SSIDs (the ISP router's and the C6's), whereas I was under the impression that they should merge into one?

I have noticed that my previous router, the TL-WR940N, is set to "Range Extender" Working Mode, which does not seem to be an option on the C6. Is it not possible to do what I need with this router? If not, which router can do this, or what should I look for on their specifications?

Thanks in advance!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:C6 AC1200 as a Range Extender and then Ethernet to PCs?-Solution
2022-11-27 10:24:19 - last edited 2022-11-28 16:58:27

@Zombielicious Turns out the documentation is missing one important step. If anyone else stumbles upon this post, know that what I had to do to fix it (following this video), was to go into Network -> ITPTV/VLAN, tick Enable, choose Mode: Bridge from the dropdown menu, and then choose "Internet" for each LAN port.

The only downside is that I still have two network SSIDs instead of just one, but I can live with that. Hope this helps someone!

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:C6 AC1200 as a Range Extender and then Ethernet to PCs?-Solution
2022-11-27 10:24:19 - last edited 2022-11-28 16:58:27

@Zombielicious Turns out the documentation is missing one important step. If anyone else stumbles upon this post, know that what I had to do to fix it (following this video), was to go into Network -> ITPTV/VLAN, tick Enable, choose Mode: Bridge from the dropdown menu, and then choose "Internet" for each LAN port.

The only downside is that I still have two network SSIDs instead of just one, but I can live with that. Hope this helps someone!

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:C6 AC1200 as a Range Extender and then Ethernet to PCs?
2022-11-28 11:50:08

@Zombielicious 

Thanks for sharing the solution. I suggest marking the solution as the recommended solution, then others may benefit from that.

If my reply helps with the issue, please click on the arrow pointing upward. If it solves your issue, please click the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 327

Replies: 2

Related Articles