Archer AXE300 Wifi Range is bad

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-16 18:47:35
Model: Archer AXE300  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.3 Build 20220907 rel.6955(5553)

I recently replaced my Netgear RAX45 wifi router for an Archer AXE300 to keep up with my Xfinity download speeds of around 1400 mbps.  The setup was easy and I placed my old Netgear router in AP mode and moved it to other end of house.  It is connected via Cat 6 cable.  My home is networked so it makes it easy to AP an extender or router.  The issue I have and is about to make me pack this up and return it is the Wifirange of the new Archer is horrible!  My Netgear router is at least 1.5 to 2x better.  I can reach out 300-400 ft from the house and still get signal.  THe Archer will drop after 100 ft.  It is in the same network closet as my Netgear was and same location.  The Netgear can still be accessed easily around entire home outside within 200 ft no matter where you are and farther.  

Is this normal?  I would think this new $600 router would be leaps and bounds above the old one.  Firmware is up to date.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Archer AXE300 Wifi Range is bad
2022-12-16 23:17:29

@bbmxta 

Remember this is a WiFi 6E device and therefore is optimised for the 6ghz channels (hence the price)

You will only get full performance from this device if your card / laptop / phone supports 6ghz.. which are unlikely to be honest!    Bear in mind that 6ghz is MUCH less penetrating (shorter range) so this will need to be considered.

It could be a setting on the device also, channel selection for example.   Have you checked all that first?

Options
2022-12-18 01:14:28

@Philbert my old Netgear RAX45 is 6e as well and yes works great with my Samsing Halaxy phone.  The new Archer is setup for 2.4, 5, and 6Ghz bands but even the 2.4 is less than half of the old netgear.  I got the new Archer for the 2.5gb WAN and the 10gb/2.5GB eternity ports to get better throughput in my home switch feeding the patch panel.  

Correct me if I'm wrong but using a wired 1000 mbps eternity makes your 1300 mbps xfinity useless unless you are using wireless at close range.  Unfortunately there isn't much options out there now except go out with a 2.5 to a 2.5 multi-gig switch which are expensive.   

The problem though still lies with the 2.4ghz band on this new 8 antenna premium router being worse than a 3 year old three times cheaper router.  I have a lot of security cameras and things that are outside home that can't see this new wifi which is why I'm using my old one as an access point.  

Any suggestions from tech support would be great or anyone, if not it's going back and I'm going back to netgear 

Philbert wrote

@bbmxta 

Remember this is a WiFi 6E device and therefore is optimised for the 6ghz channels (hence the price)

You will only get full performance from this device if your card / laptop / phone supports 6ghz.. which are unlikely to be honest!    Bear in mind that 6ghz is MUCH less penetrating (shorter range) so this will need to be considered.

It could be a setting on the device also, channel selection for example.   Have you checked all that first?

Options
2022-12-18 02:24:54

@bbmxta 

Hi,

Can you confirm that the Netgear RAX45 and the Archer AXE300 you have are both made for the same county or region?

According to some posts in this forum it seems to happen that in certain places around the world both the "US" version and "EU" version of TP-Link routers are being sold.

Due to different local RF regulations Wi-Fi routers made for the European Union market have a much weaker 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi than their counterparts made for the North American market.

I don't know how Netgear marks their routers, but TP-Link prints the region designations of their Wi-Fi routers on the label that's stuck on the underside of the device. It's usually a "(US)" or "(EU)" right next to the model number of the router, but there are other possible region codes as well.

Options
2022-12-18 13:52:46

@woozle it is the US version 1.6, made in Vietnam 

Options