WAN Static IP configuration of AX10 router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-14 13:25:40 - last edited 2023-02-14 13:40:35
Tags: #OneMesh #configuration
Model: Archer AX10  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Greetings forum members, 

I would like to use a pi-hole upstream of my AX10s to block certain websites when my young children get some "screen time". I am also considering pfBlockerNG.

My AX10s (provided by my ISP) in ROUTER MODE - Internet SETUP can only be configured as PPPOE or STATIC IP. I have attached a basic diagram of my network setup. 

Could you please help me configure AX10 - INTERNET Setup using an Static IP considering the upstream devices?

Deploying a custom DHCP range on the pi-hole [192.168.0.100-192.168.0.199] and trying to configure AX10 router INTERNET Setup - Static IP mode > using a generated LAN ip from the pi-hole server > I am getting (subnet) errors. I have tried other ip ranges, but i am not successful.

Could you please give me a few pointers on how to setup the below network or if it can be done with AX10 in static ip?

Thank you for your time.

Options
7 Reply
Re:WAN Static IP configuration of AX10 router
2023-02-14 16:25:51

@ROnetwork 

Hi,

Do you want to operate the "AX10 - ROUTER MODE" as an actual "router" (meaning client devices connected to it will be in a different subnet than the Pi-hole) or do you want to run the "AX10 - ROUTER MODE" as an access point (meaning client devices connected to it will all be in the subnet 192.168.0.x)?

If it's the latter, then you cannot use the Internet (WAN) port of the "AX10 - ROUTER MODE" and also the settings in the "Internet" configuration page will be obsolete. 

Instead you have to plug the Ethernet cable coming from the Pi-hole into one of the LAN ports of the "AX10 - ROUTER MODE", manually configure the LAN IP address of the "AX10 - ROUTER MODE" (for example set it to 192.168.0.2) and disable the DHCP server of the "AX10 - ROUTER MODE".

But a warning before you get too excited. Two Archer AX10 routers cannot be paired together via OneMesh. This is not supported by TP-Link.

According to TP-Link's website EasyMesh support is planned for the AX10 in a future firmware release, but nobody knows when this is going to happen.

Options
2023-02-14 16:42:07 - last edited 2023-02-14 16:44:01

@woozle 

thank you for your reply. allow me to clarify further:

1. i want my pfsense / pi-hole (machine / server / custom router) to be the main router > in order to be able to block or filter sites for my kids

2. i want to setup AX10 - ROUTER MODE (downstream) as an additional router via STATIC IP - internet configuration. I don't want to do this, but as I mentioned before there are only 2 methods of Internet Setup on the AX10s provided from my ISP.  I am thinking that if AX10 is not configured for "internet" then the rest of the (wireless) network won't work.

3. AX10 AP MODE - will then be connected through OneMesh to AX10 - ROUTER MODE (to create a giant mesh wireless network)

4. OneMesh is already supported thanks to my ISP custom firmware that is already on the AX10s. (the firmware enables onemesh but limits other functions, like dynamic ip internet setup).

Options
2023-02-14 18:01:44

@ROnetwork 

1. i want my pfsense / pi-hole (machine / server / custom router) to be the main router > in order to be able to block or filter sites for my kids

Ok, I understand.

2. i want to setup AX10 - ROUTER MODE (downstream) as an additional router via STATIC IP - internet configuration. I don't want to do this, but as I mentioned before there are only 2 methods of Internet Setup on the AX10s provided from my ISP.  I am thinking that if AX10 is not configured for "internet" then the rest of the (wireless) network won't work.

If the AX10 is running in Router Mode and you connect it to the pfsense/pi-hole main router via the Internet/WAN port, then the pfsense/pi-hole main router will not be able to "see" and manage the client devices that are connected to the AX10. 

If your version of the AX10 (or any other router for that matter) does not have a dedicated "Access Point" mode, then you can try the workaround I mentioned in my previous post. I know this workaround has worked fine on many different routers and for many people, including myself.

3. AX10 AP MODE - will then be connected through OneMesh to AX10 - ROUTER MODE (to create a giant mesh wireless network)

See my reply for 4.

4. OneMesh is already supported thanks to my ISP custom firmware that is already on the AX10s. (the firmware enables onemesh but limits other functions, like dynamic ip internet setup).

I did not say that OneMesh is not supported on the AX10. I said that two AX10 routers cannot be paired together via OneMesh.

Check out Question 10 in the official OneMesh Q&A. https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2690/

The mentioned "EasyMesh" is different, though. It would allow two routers to form a Mesh network.

Options
2023-02-14 18:32:19

@woozle 

thank you again for the answers.

2. i will definitely try your method: With the AX10 in ROUTER MODE but without a cable connected to the WAN port. I will not try to reconfigure the INTERNET settings, which will make the mini light probably flash orange. But as long as the wireless network is working and delivering internet to mobile devices i won't bother me one bit. 

3. AX10 in AP MODE should not be affected by the AX10 in ROUTER MODE not getting internet through the wan port. And should connect fine to the AX10 in ROUTER MODE, and further serve wireless clients. 

4. I think that this is again a feature of the custom firmware from my ISP. I will attach a few snapshots that should better explain how my mesh network is comprised of 

Options
2023-02-15 00:04:28

@ROnetwork 

Amazing, it even says "To add OneMesh satellite routers to boost the network, follow ...".

It seems your ISP must have a lot of negotiating power to convince TP-Link to make this feature available to them.

Options
2023-02-15 06:15:10

@woozle 

These AX10s are custom made for my ISP (digi [dot] ro) by the TP-Link RO branch, and only the back side stickers (w/ serial numbers & wifi login details & others) indicate this fact. 

I will upload pictures of a retail AX50 and my ISP AX10s to show the differences from the back side. 

PS1. I did not get a chance to test your proposed settings, since i spent most of the evening reinstalling ubuntu server, then upgrading to ubuntu pro, then back,

Had a dhcp error from my nc365t card delaying the server boot ( askubuntu.com/a/1110474 ) + I watched a few videos on how to setup cockpit (VM hosting) and IPFire. 

I will post a confirmation in this thread, once I set everything up ;) 

PS2. My (current) ISP is probably the biggest one in RO, considering the number of their subscribers as of DEC 2022

PS3. I purchased the AX50 specifically to demonstrate (to myself) the IPv6 instability / pi-hole bypass / wifi speed test improvement over the AX10. 

Options
2023-02-15 17:57:25

@woozle 

AX10 v1.00

AX10 v1.20

AX53 v1.00

the AX53 is the retail version

the AX10 is the custom made for digi ;) 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0