Can I create a wired deco X50 network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-22 14:47:00
Model: Deco X50  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hello to all,

I couldn't find a tread that answers my question.

Is it possible to create a network with the Deco X50 system like the picture below?

I've got all the wires already at these locations. Is it better to hardwire all Deco's and connect the hardware to the Deco's or hardwire the devices and let the Deco create it's own wireless network. The problem isn't the connection of hardwired devices, but we have poor wireless service for our cellphones. in the Attic and some bedrooms.

If I want to connect it like this. Do I have to use AP mode and lose parental control?

b92ac9e455d94dbfa925f3d5c7e24898

Options
1 Reply
Re:Can I create a wired deco X50 network
2023-02-22 15:21:23

@JasperNLH 

I am assuming you have modem/router, otherwise you wouldn't be able to connect three Ethernet cables to it. With that assumption, what you want will work - with Deco mesh running in Access Point mode.

It is better to hardwire all Decos. Definitely better. When they are hardwired, they'll give you same consistent WiFi speed near each Deco node. When they run connected wirelessly, expect losing half or more of WiFi speed on device wirelessly connected to Satellite Deco vs. device connected to Main Deco.

Now, one important point to mention: parental control.

In its current state, Deco mesh does not have meaningful parental controls: they are too easy to bypass. Deco does not safeguard from "randomized MAC address" feature present in modern smartphones, it does not have whitelist to enforce only MAC addresses you trust to connect. You can't set default catchall very restrictive profile for unknown MAC addresses.

Which means, anyone who can figure how to enable "MAC address randomization" on their device will bypass Deco parental controls.

If you do need parental controls, I strongly recommend going with different WiFi mesh brand.

Options