Deco M4R speed drops - frequent restarts needed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-23 18:02:18
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.5

This used to be an ocassional issue but it has become frequent, almost daily. I all of a sudden get slow Internet speeds and then run a speed test only to realise that I am getting less than 10 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection. The speed reduction is always around the same mark. When connecting over a LAN cable directly to the ISP router I get 100% of the speed.

I have the latest firware and the operation mode is set to "Wi-Fi Router". My sceond M4R AP is used as a repeater. I've tried turning off the repeater and move close the main AP but the speed still remains low regardless of which AP I am connected to. Usually after a restart of both devices I start getting my regular speed again but recently I had to restart it multiple times to start working properly again.

This problem keeps coming back. Is this a known issue?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M4R speed drops - frequent restarts needed
2023-02-24 07:17:04

@Krainer 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Could you please help me check the Ethernet link speed on the PC when its speed had dropped to 100m/s?

How to check the associated/link speed on a wired client

I guess the WAN link speed between the main M4 and ISP modem might randomly drop to 10m/s.

Here are some suggestions for you:

1. change the Ethernet cable between the main M4 and ISP modem:

2. please change another Deco M4 as the main Deco:

By the way, may I know how long have you had Deco M4?

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2023-02-24 10:02:52

@David-TP 

Hello, Thanks for the reply.

I will check the link speed once the issue shows up again and connect my MacBook to ISP router over a UTP cable.

I will first try a different cable between the ISP router and the M4 and if this doesn't work I wll swap the Main Deco with the slave Deco.

I've had the M4 since April 2021.

I will get back to you with my findings.

Options
2023-02-25 21:14:50

@David-TP 

Speed dropped down to 10Mbps again, after testing I realised that the issue is likely with the cable between the ISP router and the M4 (I had been using the cable which came with the M4). I replaced the cable and I will keep minitoring it.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 278

Replies: 3

Related Articles