Which 4g MIFI device/router allows hosting a VPN server over the 4G network?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-27 04:09:56

I need to be able to host a VPN server that I will connect my laptop to, both over the 4G network.  I was told this wasn't possible because IP addresses coming from the 4G internet are not public.   Is this true?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Which 4g MIFI device/router allows hosting a VPN server over the 4G network?
2023-02-28 11:02:59

@dfgdfgg 

Hi, most mobile network operators assign private IP or CGNAT IP now which are not public IP address, in that case, the VPN Server on the 4G Router will be behind another NAT, thus remote client will not be able to connect to the VPN Server.

If you really need it, please contact your ISP first to see if they could assign a public IP address.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2023-02-28 13:09:38

@Sunshine how come in this article they are showing a 4g router model being configured as a. Vpn server?  Is that really just deceptive advertising?

https://www.tp-link.com/ae/support/faq/1661/

Options
2023-03-01 02:31:10

@dfgdfgg 

Hi, the FAQ you mentioned is for IPSec site to site VPN, which is kind of different from single VPN Server.

For the IPSec site to site VPN, you will need two VPN Routers on both sites, and at least one of the VPN Routers need to have public IP address.

For other single VPN Server which allows client device to connect directly, such as PPTP VPN Server, OpenVPN Server, they are supported by most of our LTE Gateway Routers as well, but please note that public IP address is necessary. That is why I suggest you to confirm with your mobile network operator whether they could assign public IP address.

Note: As I mentioned, most mobile network operators assign private IP or CGNAT IP address now, but some ISP might still assign public IP address via special APN etc., and most of the TP-Link LTE Gateway routers can also be used as standard wireless router with Ethernet WAN, which usually obtains public IP address. Therefore, it is not deceptive advertising.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2023-03-01 02:37:47
I disagree, when you search for tp-link 4g router with vpn, you get that faq which is not feasible for most 4g applications due to reasons you listed.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 867

Replies: 4

Related Articles