Setting IPv6 on LAN with Archer AX6000 - getting "invalid format" on gateway address

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Setting IPv6 on LAN with Archer AX6000 - getting "invalid format" on gateway address

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-04 21:47:28
Tags: #IPv6
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20211118 rel.71177(4555)

Hi,

When setting "IPv6 Internet" configuration in Advanced/IPv6 form of my new AX6000 router, I cannot find how to set the Default Gateway.

The Default Gateway field refuses the ISP router link local address with an "Invalid format" message.

IPv6 Internet settings:

- Internet connection type : Static IP

- IPv6 Address : xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx

- Default Gateway : fe80::xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx

- Primary DNS : 2606:4700:4700::1111

- Secondary DNS: 2606:4700:4700::1001

- MTU Size : 1500

Note: this config was actually working fine with my previous WiFi router (was Asus wifi AC router - AX6000 is meant to be a wifi upgrade)

Default gateway field does not accept neither "fe80::xxxx" link local address nor "xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::/64" subnet prefix

It accepts the full IPv6 address format (when I copy paste the IPv6 address content for example) or the Primary DNS address :  2606:4700:4700::1111 - but obviously ipv6 routing is not working...

Could you please help to identify why AX6000 router refuses ipv6 link local address as Default Gateway?

Thanks and regards

Options
3 Reply
Re:Setting IPv6 on LAN with Archer AX6000 - getting "invalid format" on gateway address
2023-04-06 09:52:12

@DarkSeb 

Hi,

Does these IPv6 setting parameters provided and required by your internet provider?

What if you try Dynamic, will the router receive an IPv6 connection automatically?

If you cannot enter those static IPv6 gateway on the router, I guess it's not supported by the TP-Link router. Maybe @Kevin_Z can suggest.

If my reply helps with the issue, please click on the arrow pointing upward. If it solves your issue, please click the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:Setting IPv6 on LAN with Archer AX6000 - getting "invalid format" on gateway address
2023-04-07 01:32:49

Hi @Liverpool20,

Thanks for answering. Yes these IPv6 settings are provided by my ISP - and required when you actually want to use IPv6. Was working fine with my previous router.

When I try Dynamic (DHCPv6+SLAAC), AX router actually gets an IPv6 address (+DNS and so on)) from the ISP - then I have another issue with populating IPv6 to the LAN (clients from LAN get IPv6 but seems IPv6 traffic is not routed - clients do still use IPv4 to browse the Internet + freezes on random connection initiation, I guess because they try the IPv6 addresses first and then switch to IPv4 on timeout - but did not spent too much time on it as I focus on my regular "static IP" setup).

Another info with what I tried tonight: I can set the "IPv6 setting" of the AX router as "Bridge mode", then I can see all LAN clients getting an IPv6 from the ISP (I can identify it in the subnet part of the IP) - and then it ipv6 traffic is properly router for all clients. But with ISP dependency - and did not tried to identify if/how ipv6 firewalling is operating with this setup yet.

This corresponds to bypass AX router IPv6 abilities... I share the tip if anyone else needs short term solution.

Then I still don't figure out why this AX router "gateway" setting does not accept link local ipv6 addresses. Sounds like a basic "field format control error". Or I don't understand the "feature".

Thanks for any help!

Regards

Options
2023-04-10 06:31:38

DarkSeb wrote

Hi @Liverpool20,

Another info with what I tried tonight: I can set the "IPv6 setting" of the AX router as "Bridge mode", then I can see all LAN clients getting an IPv6 from the ISP (I can identify it in the subnet part of the IP) - and then it ipv6 traffic is properly router for all clients. But with ISP dependency - and did not tried to identify if/how ipv6 firewalling is operating with this setup yet.

This corresponds to bypass AX router IPv6 abilities... I share the tip if anyone else needs short term solution.

Then I still don't figure out why this AX router "gateway" setting does not accept link local ipv6 addresses. Sounds like a basic "field format control error". Or I don't understand the "feature".

Thanks for any help!

Regards

@DarkSeb 

Does that mean the clients can get IPv6 connectivity when using Bridge mode? If that is the case, I assume you can use bridge mode on the AX router.

If my reply helps with the issue, please click on the arrow pointing upward. If it solves your issue, please click the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 849

Replies: 3

Tags

Related Articles