WDS feature simply does not work

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-05 14:17:08 - last edited 2023-04-05 14:19:41
Tags: #WDS
Model: TD-W8961N  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: Build 150630 Rel.34713

I have this TD-W8961N 300Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router, which according to the official guide, can be setup to work as a wireless bridge / WiFi repeater device. The guide configures 2 identical TD-W8961N to act as primary and extended router, and (supposedly) everything works.

Essentially, the user must enable WDS and input the source WLAN pre-shared key and its MAC address, and set the WLAN channel to the same one as the source device. The guide also disables DHCP, but I assume it's not mandatory if I setup DHCP to start from the 192.168.0.100 range to avoid IP conflicts. Also, the router is set as Bridge Mode in the Interface Setup > Internet > Encapsulation page.

I've tried to configure it with the MAC address of my ISP's Cisco Router
DPC3848VE, and also this TP-Link repeater to no avail, the router's WLAN is never connected to the other device, no matter how many times I reboot, reconnect or reset and reconfigure the ADSL modem router. Confused

Firmware was already updated to latest version.
Any ideas and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Options
1 Reply
Re:WDS feature simply does not work
2023-04-05 21:49:41

@Inuya5ha 

Hey

From experience, this is unlikely to work for you with hardware from different vendors.  I have used this before with only TP Link hardware so yes it does work. 

However without going into too much detail here, there is a problem with the 802.11-1999 WDS specification in that it does not stipulate how keys should be exchanged, therefore each vendor is able to do its own interpretation.  Sadly this has caused issues between different vendors for years now and is one of the main reason that WDS is no longer commonly utilised.

Honestly, without hardware from the same vendor its unlikely to work for you, that aside WDS is not the best way to extend / repeat a signal, you would be much better with just a standard repeater plug!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 424

Replies: 1

Tags

WDS
Related Articles