Accessing VoIP/Phone Settings not possible

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-24 19:07:58
Model: TL-WR841N  
Hardware Version: V13
Firmware Version: 0.9.1 4.16 v0001.0 Build 170622 Rel.64334n

Hey there,

I've got a question regarding the set-up, or rather management, of VoIP. The problem is as follows:

I can't seem to find any way to access VoIP settings by accessing the router. I don't know whether this is due to the way things are set up; my ISP has installed a I presume it is a modem for fibreglass access. The TP-Link router is hence connected to it to enable high speeds.

The problem there is that I don't seem to be able to get any access whatsoever to VoIP settings. My landline is connected to the modem, since it didn't like being connected to the router. Attempts to access tplinkmodem.net told me it wasn't available. The standard UI for tplinkwifi.net didn't show any phone related settings. Directly connecting to the modem via LAN hasn't yielded any results, either; the LAN connection didn't even give me Internet access for whatever reason.

What am I supposed to do? This is the first time I'm dealing with tp-link as I'm more used to the German Fritzbox system. I'm quite stunted as to how I'm supposed to proceed. I really need to somehow forward calls to my mobile, hence my need to access the settings.

Thanks in advance for your replies :-)

Options
9 Reply
Re:Accessing VoIP/Phone Settings not possible
2023-07-24 20:41:54

@mr1992 

Hi,

Are the fibreglass Internet connection and the VoIP feature provided to you by two different companies or is that a combined Internet & Phone package you've subscribed to?

Did the hardware from the ISP include any sort of user manual or setup guide that shows how to plug everything together and set it up?

If the "modem" that the ISP installed is not made by TP-Link, then the link "tplinkmodem.net" won't get you anywhere. But if you let us know the brand and model number of the ISP's modem, then maybe someone here can help you further.

And by the way, the TP-Link TL-WR841N you've got is purely a wireless router. It can't be compared to a Fritzbox, which are multi-function devices that usually include a modem or ONT, the wireless router and a built-in telephone system.

Options
2023-07-24 21:39:38

@woozle thanks for your reply; turns out I've been a bit stupid and, since I've never had fibreglass Internet before, have to correct some things:

What I presumed to be a modem is, in fact, an ONT. Which, if I am not mistaken, should function similar to a modem, and probably have a UI of some sort.

Since Andorra only has a single ISP, everything goes through them, so it's a combined package. The ONT was pre-installed in the flat; I don't have a manual for it. I managed to glean that it's most likely by Huawai, though since it's firmly mounted to the wall, I cannot make out more details. Unfortunately, the standard addresses 192.168.100.1 or 192.168.1.1. don't work, even if I turn off wifi and connect to the ONT directly. But I guess, since it's (probably) Huawei, I'm in the wrong forum for that. Or is there a way to figure out the IP address of the ONT through the router?

Options
2023-07-24 22:28:20 - last edited 2023-07-24 22:29:22

mr1992 wrote

Or is there a way to figure out the IP address of the ONT through the router?

@mr1992 

If your router's WAN connection is set up as "Dynamic IP" or "Static IP", then under normal circumstances the IP address of the "Default Gateway" is the IP address of the ONT or modem that supplies the Internet connection. (see picture with a random example below)

But in case the router's connection was via PPPoE, then you would need to disconnect the router and connect a computer directly to the ONT instead and try to find a user manual that mentions the ONT's default IP address.

Options
2023-07-24 23:09:16

@woozle

I've checked my WAN settings; the IP is set to "Dynamic." However, using the gateway I still wasn't able to access the ONT, not even when I still deactivated wifi and plugged it in directly. I haven't however disconnected the router and directly connected a computer; I don't think it'd be helpful seeing it's not set to PPPeE. The IP addresses I've provided in my earlier post are apparently Huawei's standard IP addresses.

Options
2023-07-25 17:43:51

@mr1992 

Can you tell from the appearance of the Huawei device if it's just a plain ONT or if it's one of those complete "home hub" devices?

For example, if it has only like 3 or 4 LEDs and only 3 or 4 sockets to connect various cables, then it's likely just an ONT, but if it has many LEDs, including some labelled "Wi-Fi" or "WLAN", "Phone" or "TEL" and has several "LAN" ports and telephone connectors, then it's likely an all-in-one device similar to a Fritzbox.

Options
2023-07-25 18:04:02

@woozle I think it's a plain ONT. You need to connect a router, else there is no internet access. Here's a picture of one:

https://www.bondia.ad/economia/el-febrer-registra-un-increment-de-l15-de-nous-clients-internet

I gather it's probably a mere ONT. And if I take it right, that means I'll need a different router/something that also addresses phone service like a fritzbox or a different TP link.

Options
2023-07-25 19:44:13

@mr1992 

The device shown on the picture of that link is something in between. It's not a plain ONT, since it must have some router stuff built-in to feed the four LAN ports and the VoIP stuff for the telephones that can be connected. But it doesn't have Wi-Fi, so the customers need to add a wireless router or wireless access point themselves if they want to connect wireless devices. 

If there is no webpage loading when you type the IP address of the Huawei device in a web browser, then that just means the ISP doesn't want their customers to mess around with any of the pre-configured settings.

Anyway, if I am not mistaken the way to use the Internet and phone services of your ISP is as follows:

- To use the Internet you either connect client devices that have an Ethernet port directly via cable to the four LAN ports of the Huawei ONT or connect another router to the Huawei ONT and then connect wired and wireless devices to that router, like you did.

- To use the telephone feature you connect a desk phone or the base station of a cordless phone via cable to the "TEL" sockets of the Huawei ONT. The "TEL" sockets are basically like old fashioned wall phone sockets. Apparently this Huawei ONT doesn't provide any additional features like answering machine or phonebook.

Options
2023-07-26 11:43:45

@woozle I see, so there's no fiddling with settings due to ISP intervention.

Both Internet and phone fortunately are working and I'd already plugged them in as you described. Since there's no getting access to the settings, I guess for what I intend to do, I'll need to get a different router with more functionalities after all. Thank you very much for your help anyway :-)

Options
2023-07-26 17:32:12

@mr1992 

Just an addition. I've read on a Huawei forum that apparently some ISPs configure the ONTs so that the router's http webpage is only accessible from the LAN side when the ONT is not online.

For the end user the only way to get the ONT offline is to disconnect the fiber cable.

In case you were to give this a try, then be very careful to not damage the fiber cable and connector in the process and keep the tip of the fiber connector clean!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 803

Replies: 9

Related Articles