Alternative for M4R as primary deco

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-25 12:29:48

I have a mesh network with 3 M4R decos. Obviously one of them serves as primary deco. I am not satisfied with the coverage in my network  My idea is to replace one of the M4R's serving as primary deco with a stronger one. My question is which deco to chose as primary deco. The M4R which served as primary deco I will reuse in my network.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Alternative for M4R as primary deco
2023-09-25 13:07:47

@RobHe 

Hey

Being honest, coverage isnt something you can fix by changing the model of AP, its generally just down to adding more APs.    

WIthout going into too much detail here.. the distance a WiFi signal will cover is determined by a value called EIRP (effective isotropic radiated power), which is a numerical value for the 'power' of an access point.    This can be increased by more transmitter power or a bigger antenna in the device, however its a case of diminishing returns as you increase this.   Double the EIRP doesnt mean double the distance, in fact it can be sub 10% at best.

As nearly all decos are roughly the same power and antenna size and therefore EIRP is roughly the same, all deco nodes are as close to the maximum levels allowed by law for indoor use. 

In short.. its unlikely to make any real change to your coverage, you will need to add more deco nodes if coverage is your aim. 

What a newer version of the Deco (x20 for example) would offer you is increased speed to anything connected with WiFi6 capabilities, WiFi6 is becoming more common.

Sorry that may not be the answer you where looking for!  Welcome to the world of Wireless!!  If you have any queries just ask below

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 267

Replies: 1

Related Articles