2 devices in serial bridge..?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-25 05:59:12
Model: TL-MR6400   Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have a starlink router, in bridge mode to my tp link M4. Déco is doing all dhcp work. 

Ik want to add the 4G router in-between, so it will act as backup for the starlink when it fails. 

Can I add it as bridge so it will be inactive when starlink functions, and take over when starlink fails? 

Or do I have to use it as the primary dhcp router and use M4 as AP only?  I hope the first option, otherwise it will require me to build my 2 wireless networks again on a the new router (and I think, having to go through all the devices to bind them to the new networks...?) 

Options
3 Reply
Re:2 devices in serial bridge..?
2023-10-26 09:28:27

@Robert-d-k 

Hi, in order to use 3G/4G Backup on the MR600, you will need to change it to wireless router mode: 

How to set up Wireless Router mode and 3G/4G Backup on TP-Link LTE Gateway

After that, the MR600 will act as the DHCP and work as main router, then the Deco M4 can be still used as router mode, if you don't want two WiFi networks, you could turn off WiFi function on the MR600.

However, since there are two routers in the network, there will be double NATs issue, if you would like to avoid double NATs, you will need to configure the Deco M4 as AP mode.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2023-10-27 05:05:25 - last edited 2023-10-27 05:18:48

@Sunshine thanks! Double nat is a bit new to me, bit of a network NOOB... If I won't connect anything else to the 4G router (so DECO still handles all my devices) is there any real harm (except for some delay) in double NAT? 

If I'm getting this right;

- the deco will receive an ip address from the 4G router, (and will be the only device in that subnet) 

- after that deco will hand out ip addresses to my devices (in its own subnet) 

Am I correct? 

Second question, when I would use the deco in AP mode, does anything in my network actually change..? Except the devices will show up in the 4g modem's dhcp list now in stead of the deco's. But wireless networks and wireing will stay as it is..? 

Options
2023-10-30 03:51:14

Robert-d-k wrote

@Sunshine thanks! Double nat is a bit new to me, bit of a network NOOB... If I won't connect anything else to the 4G router (so DECO still handles all my devices) is there any real harm (except for some delay) in double NAT? 

If I'm getting this right;

- the deco will receive an ip address from the 4G router, (and will be the only device in that subnet) 

- after that deco will hand out ip addresses to my devices (in its own subnet) 

Am I correct? 

Second question, when I would use the deco in AP mode, does anything in my network actually change..? Except the devices will show up in the 4g modem's dhcp list now in stead of the deco's. But wireless networks and wireing will stay as it is..? 

@Robert-d-k 

Hi, 

1. double NATs will not affect internet access, issue mainly happens when you have some devices connected to main router and other devices connected to second router network, then devices under main network will not be able to access devices under second router network, such as printer etc., so if you connect all devices to second router(Deco) network or no such local network sharing requirement, it will not affect anything.

2. you are correct for router mode on Deco

3. for AP mode on Deco, the wireless networks or wiring stay the same as router mode, the main difference is the DHCP server, which would be main router and AP mode might be lack of some other features compared to router mode, refer to: What’s the difference between Access Point mode and Router mode on the Deco?

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 424

Replies: 3

Related Articles