IPv6 address via LAN connected to Sky

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-03 11:05:42 - last edited 2023-11-03 11:09:01
Model: Archer AXE75  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.8 Build 20230718 rel.47014(4555)

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum therefore please excuse my ignorance.

I've recently changed my internet provider to Sky (UK). I realised I've over 20 odd devices which connect to my wi-fi therefore I invested in TP Link Archer AXE75 AXE5400 router. This is connected to Sky Hub through ethernet. This is to ensure I don't need to change wifi setting on all devices. (Yes, I could give same SSID and password to new router but I believe this gives me more control).

TP Link AXE75 is connection through LAN and assigned a static IP.

I'm trying to enable IPv6 on TP Link router but on I'm unable to get IPv6 when validating from whatismyip[dot]com. I can see IPv6 is shown for TP Link Archer AXE75 in Sky Hub but when trying to configure IPv6 in TP Link, it is unable to get any details. The devices are only connecting in IPv4 only.

The only way I can get IPv6 is through connection type "Pass-Though". Please suggest, if this is the only way or I need to change setting in Sky Hub?

Options
1 Reply
Re:IPv6 address via LAN connected to Sky
2023-11-06 18:49:54

From what I read from the internet and understand, Sky doesn't allow delegration and only 1 IPv6 is provided and Router allocates the IPv6 from the DHCPv6 server.

From IPv6 Global Address, /64, referes that any subnet wll not be able to issue IPv6. Also, I can see IPv6 Delegate Prefix has '/56'. Please can someone explain to me in layman terms.

As of now, it seems the pass-through is the only option to issue IPv6 address for all connected devices.

I'll try connecting router directly to fiber connection but I'm not very hopeful as Sky has network typ MER which I believe is not supported by TP-Link (at least I couldn't find the option). If anyone can help me, I might ditch the Sky Hub and use TP-Link AXE75 as the main router.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 403

Replies: 1

Related Articles