Deco X68 - disable wifi on one unit only (to use it for ethernet devices connected via back haul)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco X68 - disable wifi on one unit only (to use it for ethernet devices connected via back haul)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-10 09:41:00
Model: Deco X68  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Just purchased a couple of Deco X68 Units. So far seem pretty cool but...

Is there a way/hack to turn off wifi from a unit?

I have one unit in an office, connected to a switch that then connects it to multiple devices via ethernet such as a pc, nas, etc.

It all works well, except that the office unit is only a room away from the main unit in the lounge room. It cause devices (such as the google tv connected to wifi) to switch between units and since i've set it up, it has lost connection a couple of times.

Is there a way to turn off wifi on the office unit? I purely want it just to connect the ethernet devices to the network via the wireless backhaul. Then the lounge can provide wifi to all devices that need it.

Theres no easy way to connect this office switch via an ethernet cord to the main deco unit, without a huge renovation and cabling between walls and since we rent its a no go.

Not a network guy so forgive me if its a dumb idea / dumb question, but tried googling and couldn't find any answers other than a 5 year old thread saying it wasn't an available feature yet...

Thanks

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco X68 - disable wifi on one unit only (to use it for ethernet devices connected via back haul)
2023-11-10 15:34:30

@netwerkman 

You can't have WiFi turned off on a single Deco node, but you may be able to use Connection Preference feature to configure client connect to specific Deco node. Check if that feature is available in Deco app, described in Part 2 of the following document: How to select a preferred signal source on the Deco App

Options
Re:Deco X68 - disable wifi on one unit only (to use it for ethernet devices connected via back haul)
2023-11-11 21:55:43

@Alexandre. Thanks - tried this but didn't work.

Does anyone know of any unofficial way to do it if the official software/firmware doesn't give the option? Just want to disable the wifi but keep the wireless backhaul going to connect the devices connected via ethernet.

Seems like a basic and easy feature or am i missing something why TP havent built it into the software?

Options
2023-11-12 12:37:11

@netwerkman 

What you are asking defeats the purpose of WiFi mesh. It is unlikely TP-Link would even consider adding such feature.

Another option for you to try is to disable 2.4GHz band. If your devices that jump between Deco nodes can use WiFi5, more chances are they'll connect to nearby node with WiFi5. You can just disable 2.4GHz for all devices in your WiFi mesh:

If that works, but you need 2.4GHz for some older devices, you can enable 2.4GHz back and do targeted configuration per device with Connection Preference, to have specific device use WiFi5.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 643

Replies: 3

Related Articles