Urgent Help Needed: Asus RT-AX58U Router Not Enforcing Time Restrictions via TP-LINK RE700X Extender

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Urgent Help Needed: Asus RT-AX58U Router Not Enforcing Time Restrictions via TP-LINK RE700X Extender

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-12-03 14:18:55
Model: RE700X  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.4

Hey Guys,

I'm facing a challenging situation with my home network and urgently need some advice. I have an Asus RT-AX58U router and recently added a TP-LINK RE700X (Ethernet Port) range extender to improve wifi coverage in my house.

Here's the core of my issue: I'm trying to set time-based internet restrictions for my son's devices (a phone - WIFI EXT and a desktop-Ethernet), which connect to the internet through this extender. The aim is to manage his internet usage due to specific personal needs. While the router recognizes the extender and shows the connected devices with their MAC addresses, I can't get the time-based restrictions to work for these devices. His phone is connected via WIFI (separate/EXT SSID) and his desktop is connected to the extender via an Ethernet cable.

The router's firmware is up to date, and I've gone through the settings multiple times to ensure everything is configured correctly (although I'm not an expert). But no matter what I do, the devices connected through the extender seem to bypass these restrictions.

This situation is causing a lot of stress, as unrestricted internet access is not suitable for my son's condition. I'm looking for any advice, workarounds, or settings that I might have missed to resolve this issue.

Has anyone else experienced something similar or knows how to make the Asus router's time restrictions work with a TP-LINK extender? Any insights or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance for your help!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Urgent Help Needed: Asus RT-AX58U Router Not Enforcing Time Restrictions via TP-LINK RE700X Extender
2023-12-03 16:43:40

@KingZee 

Hi,

While you may be shown the connected devices with their MAC addresses, the actual data transfers between the Wi-Fi repeater and the router should happen via the Wi-Fi repeater's (virtual) MAC address.

You could try to apply the Internet restrictions to the MAC address of the RE700X and see if that works. (of course anything connected to the RE700X would then be restricted) 

Options
Re:Urgent Help Needed: Asus RT-AX58U Router Not Enforcing Time Restrictions via TP-LINK RE700X Extender
2023-12-03 16:52:05
That's a weird thing too, woozle, I've restricted the mac address of the receiver too, but the router isn't blocking it either. No idea why router's restrictions are being completely ignored by the extender.
Options
2023-12-03 17:34:21

@KingZee 

Then you likely haven't got the correct MAC address. Wi-Fi repeaters use a "virtual" MAC address for the connection that is usually different to the physical MAC address of the Wi-Fi by one number. 

Is the MAC address of the repeater that you have blocked exactly the same as the one shown in the RE700X's "Status" menu or is it different?

For example, I have a model RE305 here and the physical MAC is 34:60:F9:0A:XX:XX, while the virtual MAC address used for communication with the router is 32:60:F9:0A:XX:XX. If I block Internet access for 32:60:F9:0A:XX:XX, then devices connected to the RE305 have no more Internet access.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 598

Replies: 3

Related Articles