Block ethernet connected device

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-12-30 10:17:23

Hi. Does anyone know if it is possible to block a device which has been connected to a deco unit via ethernet connection. 

It appears the standard blocking settings only disconnect wifi devices

Options
8 Reply
Re:Block ethernet connected device
2023-12-30 12:59:14 - last edited 2023-12-30 12:59:35

@Leedaykin 

I have desktop PC connected to Satellite Deco. I added it to Block list in Deco app and that PC lost Internet access instantly. When I rebooted it, PC could not acquire IP address. It is completely blocked.

Deco Block list works for both wired and wireless devices.

This will only work for device with known MAC address. If user attaches different device, or changes MAC address of device Ethernet adapter, that device will have access until it is placed in Block list.

There may be ways to defeat this workaround, but they depend on Deco model and its firmware. You haven't told what Deco model(s) and firmware version(s) your Deco mesh has. If you want to share that info, the easiest would be to make screenshot of Update Deco page in Deco app and post it here.

Example of that page:

Options
2023-12-30 15:55:18

@AAlexandre.hope this helps

Options
2023-12-30 16:27:54

@Leedaykin 

Firmware 1.1.1 does not offer Allow List (Whitelist) option. Unfortunately, as this could have been the best solution.

Your only other option is to see if you can configure both Ethernet ports of Satellite Deco you want to block Ethernet connections to as IPTV. This workaround, if it is available for M4 firmware 1.1.1, will remove Internet access from these ports. Obviously, only if you can configure both ports that way it'll work.

See How to Configure IPTV function on Deco

Options
2023-12-30 16:42:16
Hi. So to clarify i want to be able to set times at night and dueing the day with the individual profile for each child. If our sons pc is connected via ethernet this will not be blocked and he will still be able to "cheat" the blocking, ? Unless i can configure the satelite unit? Thanks for all your efforts so far..
Options
2023-12-30 17:01:32

@Leedaykin 

It appears I misunderstood you. I thought what you have is Satellite Deco that you want to block Ethernet connections to. As you said "is it possible to block a device which has been connected to a deco unit via ethernet connection."

Now that you clarified, what you want is covered by Deco parental controls. Parental controls should work for both wireless and wired devices. See How to setup Parental Control on the Deco

Also see What if Parental Control Doesn't Take Effect on Deco?

As well, less convenient and manual way would be to add PC to Block list and that will block its access to Internet immediately. Take it off Block list and PC will be unblocked.

Ignore what I said about IPTV, that will not work for you.

Options
2023-12-30 17:11:15

@Alexandre. Thank you. Yes we have added his pc to his profile, and set times for it to be off.

but he has said why are we bothering as his pc still works and his phone and tv are blocked.. maybe hes calling our bluff. 🤣

Thanks 

Lee 

Options
2023-12-30 17:19:48

@Leedaykin 

Then, try the following: when you want his PC to be disconnected from Internet, manually put it to Deco Block list. 

There will be two possible outcomes:

1. PC gets blocked. If this is the case, you should revisit your parental control settings, because they use same underlying technology to block PC but on schedule. Also check if Main Deco runs on correct date/time.

2. PC is not getting blocked. This could mean, your son has found ways to bypass Deco parental controls and Block list. There are few ways to do that depending on your son's IT knowledge and skills.

Some of them you couldn't control with Deco: for example, if your son uses PC to connect wirelessly to public/open WiFi network instead of connecting through Deco mesh.

Options
2023-12-30 20:15:04
Thanks ill look into all of theses options.. Lee
Options