Failing to Assign IP to Ethernet-Connected Device when Disconnected from Internet

Failing to Assign IP to Ethernet-Connected Device when Disconnected from Internet

10 hours ago - last edited 3 hours ago
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I have a Deco S4 creating a local network without internet. I would like to use this to control my Hue Bridge. I have connected the Bridge to the S4 with a working Ethernet cable, and the Bridge signals that it is connected to a network. However, when I connect my laptop wirelessly to the local network, I cannot find the IP address of the Hue Bridge.

It is not on the 1) Web Deco Client list, nor can it be found by 2) pinging the IP addresses in the range of the router with nmap. My thinking is that the router, for whatever reason, isn't assigning the Bridge an IP address at all (according to a different thread, maybe because when the router is disconnected from internet it switches its ethernet ports to WAN/LAN instead of just LAN and this somehow impedes with IP assignment?). 

In a previous thread (see Philips Hue bridge not visible in Deco app client list https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/591886), a person facing a similar problem with a Deco M5 was advised to connect their Bridge to a satellite Deco. This worked for them. However, it's not feasible for me to devote a second Deco to this local network just to control the Bridge, and it seems like there should be a technical solution that allows me to get the router to assign the Bridge an IP address. 

I am planning to try connecting my laptop directly to the router via ethernet once I get a suitable converter to see if the issue is because directly connected devices are given IP's in a separate subnet, but I suspect this is not the issue (since the Bridge isn't appearing on the Web Deco Client at all)

Any help please? It appears to be a firmware issue. Thanks greatly in advance. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Failing to Assign IP to Ethernet-Connected Device when Disconnected from Internet-Solution
3 hours ago - last edited 3 hours ago

@Cerine_Way Figured out solution myself. 

1) Log into TP app and add deco. Make sure cellular data is turned on so that the setup is successful even though the router has no internet.

2) Turn on access point mode. At this point the app will be confused, because there is no wifi network to extend, and eventually the originally set-up local network will come back.

3) Connect to originally set local network. Now it will have the hue bridge as a connected IP address. Apps should work from here on out!

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Failing to Assign IP to Ethernet-Connected Device when Disconnected from Internet-Solution
3 hours ago - last edited 3 hours ago

@Cerine_Way Figured out solution myself. 

1) Log into TP app and add deco. Make sure cellular data is turned on so that the setup is successful even though the router has no internet.

2) Turn on access point mode. At this point the app will be confused, because there is no wifi network to extend, and eventually the originally set-up local network will come back.

3) Connect to originally set local network. Now it will have the hue bridge as a connected IP address. Apps should work from here on out!

Recommended Solution
Options