Issue with Deco M5 Backhaul via Ethernet port...

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-02-18 18:52:58
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.7.3 Build 20230906 Rel. 59213

Hi

So - I'm having some issues with connectivity with one of my Deco M5 units via Ethernet Backhauling

I built a garden room and have an M5 unit down there - which, obviously, was too far of a distance to satellite wirelessly off of any of the M5 units I have in the house. So I had an electrician run a Cat5 ethernet cable from the garden room to my house - which - the end of the cable has a standard Ethernet RJ45 connector, which, I plugged straight into the spare ehternet port on my main deco (the other port on the main deco has an ethernet cable between it and the router)

In the garden room, the electrician then put the other end of the Cat5 ethernet cable and split it into an ethernet port. So then I have an ethernet cable running from that port into the M5 unit that is in the garden room - yet all I get is a flashing red light on the Deco M5 unit and in the app it states it cannot connect

When I plug the M5 unit from the garden room directly into the Main Deco (I bring it into the house) with just a standard ethernet cable, it connects and goes solid green and shows up in the app

So - I guess 1 of 2 things are happening - 1 is that the ethernet cable running from the garden room to the house has an error / the ethernet port is not connected correctly or 2 there is some issue with the ethernet port being a part of the network and I therefore will need to run it via a network switch (have the ethernet cable running from the ethernet port in the garden room into the house BUT into a switch vs into the Main Deco - and then have an ethernet cable run from the main deco to the network switch)

If the ethernet port is working (when the electrician installed it he tested the line and had connections at either end) - and if a network switch ISN'T needed - I'm at a loss as to what else to do to get the M5 unit in the garden room working...

Below is a diagram depicting how this is currently setup (the MD and the 2x wireless S unit's are all inside the house)

Options
1 Reply
Re:Issue with Deco M5 Backhaul via Ethernet port...
2024-02-18 20:31:19

@Jaxx_uk_8 

I had conversation with someone on this forum, who couldn't force Deco unit to use Ethernet cable for backhaul. He checked cable with tester, no issues were reported. He was confident cable is good. Then, he tried different tester and that one reported issue with the cable. Lesson learned: don't trust cable tester.

Run the following test: connect one end of that cable directly to the router, another - to wired device with Ethernet port such as laptop. This will exclude Deco. See if wired device can establish Ethernet link over that cable.

Options