Seeking Advice on TP-Link Speed Optimization in Apartment Setting
Seeking Advice on TP-Link Speed Optimization in Apartment Setting
2024-03-19 12:30:39 - last edited 2024-03-19 12:35:49
Tags: #Network Connectivity #Speed drop off
Model: TL-WPA8631P KIT  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.6.0

Hi Guys,

I'm currently living in an apartment with a Sky Gigabit line. Upon testing directly from my laptop to the Sky router via ethernet, I'm achieving around 900Mbps download speed. When positioned right next to the router wirelessly, I'm getting approximately 540Mbps.

However, I encounter a significant drop in speed when I'm in my office/gaming room, reaching only around 200Mbps(Wireless). This decrease occurs despite being just about 15-20 meters away from the router. This discrepancy led me to purchase the TP-Link, which boasts speeds of up to 867Mbps using the 5GHz band.

After installing the TP-Link, I hoped to attain similar speeds. Unfortunately, I'm only achieving a maximum of 150Mbps.This is using the 5Ghz Wireless and also when I use the ethernet cable directly into the extender. I also unified my TP-Link to the router so it's using the same WIFi name and password as I read for some users it made it even faster, however it didn't improve. Testing on the Laptop, gaming PC and an Android & iPhone with same results. 

While this might be satisfactory for some users, I purchased this product with the expectation of enhancing my speeds from the office/gaming room, aiming for at least 500Mbps. Even when I connect the powerline via ethernet to my laptop, the speed remains subpar.

I'm wondering if there's a way to optimise the speed or if perhaps my expectations for this product are too high. Could it be more suitable for customers living in larger houses with multiple levels?

Unfortunately, running a long ethernet cable directly from the router to the PC/laptop achieves the desired 900Mbps, but this isn't feasible due to restrictions.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Seeking Advice on TP-Link Speed Optimization in Apartment Setting
2024-03-19 18:36:58 - last edited 2024-03-19 18:54:34

@GamerGeek 

You can try using the tpPLC untility to observe the data rate of every PLC device on your network - thus locating a potential bottleneck - details.

Also you may go trough this FAQ regaring slow speeds.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-03-27 10:54:12

@terziyski 

Thanks for your response. 

I've tested it with the tpPLC application and seen that the adapter is receiving speeds of only 400-450Mbps, and similarly, the extender is also receiving speeds within this range.

Despite this, both my wired and wireless devices are only achieving maximum download speeds of around 150Mbps, even after ensuring that they are utilizing the 5GHz frequency band.

While this speed might be acceptable for some users, it falls short of the 900Mbps provided by my ISP (as confirmed through direct wired testing to the router).

I've also tested the powerline adapter at my parents' house and encountered the same limitations. It appears that the powerline adapter may be throttling the speeds, possibly due to our home's electrical wiring. I've read many reviews stating the same issue i'm encountering, perhaps in the future this can be easily resolved. 

As a result, I've had to purchase a 30m CAT6 ethernet cable along with cable clips and relocate the router to my office. Now, I'm achieving the speeds that I initially paid for, although with the disappointment of having to return the TP-Link powerline adapter.

Thanks again. 

Options
2024-03-27 11:38:07

@GamerGeek 

Yes, it could be an electrical wiring issue. Good to know you've sold the problem - after all nothing can beat a good ethernet cable.

Here's some directions on how to place your router for optimal performance.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 286

Replies: 3

Tags

Network Connectivity
Speed drop off
Related Articles