NIntendo Switch Connectivity
NIntendo Switch Connectivity
2024-05-05 00:30:46 - last edited 2024-05-07 03:01:41
Tags: #Port Forwarding #nintendo
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi there,

I have an issue that seems to pop up regularly in forums, with no solution that works for me.

I have fibre coming to my home to an Optical Network Terminal, to my Archer AX55 which connects to the ISP via PPPoE (edit: the ISP asks that the wan be set to use the vlan tag 40).

FWIW, I also have two RE605X extending the network via EasyMesh but not sure that's relevant.

All devices work fine except our Nintendo Switch. (edit: the Switch connects to the router but fails connecting to the outside world on the connection test). Nintendo says to enable port forwarding for UDP on all ports - which is crazy and would break other connections, but whatever, doing that and enabling forwarding for ports 1-65535 (and binding the Nintendo to a static address of course) still doesn't solve my problem.

Here's the kicker: if I unplug my Archer and the extenders, and plug in the ISP-supplied router, it works. Since that router also supports EasyMesh, I can even connect the two RE605X's to it and the Nintendo Switch still works. No port forwarding needed, no nothing. The ISP-supplied router just works. So clearly, the Archer is doing something funky, but I can't figure out what. I tried putting the Nintendo in DMZ, no dice. I figure it's the Archer trying to be fancy but I'm not sure what's getting in the way. I tried turning off the SPI firewall, still no luck. Any ideas? The Archer is so much faster than the ISP's router, and I'm already invested in tp-link because of the RE605X mesh extenders, I'd hate to have to throw it all out and start over with another brand. Any ideas?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:NIntendo Switch Connectivity-Solution
2024-05-06 13:30:18 - last edited 2024-05-06 13:30:22

Thanks for the suggestions, both sensible.

Turns out that it's the default (non-paid) parental controls that were preventing the Nintendo Switch from reaching Nintendo servers!! It started working as soon as I unassigned the Switch from one of my kids. This is broken and definitely needs to be fixed.

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:NIntendo Switch Connectivity
2024-05-05 13:18:43

@eplante 

Hi,

To rule out some of the configuration options of the Archer AX55, could you perhaps do the following test?

Take the AX55 as it currently is, but change its Internet Connection Type from PPPoE to Dynamic IP (or Static IP) and then connect the WAN port of the AX55 to one of the LAN ports of the ISP router, with the ISP router being connected to the ONT.

Then connect the Nintendo Switch to the AX55 and perform the connection test again to see if it's now able to establish a connection or not.

Options
2024-05-05 21:31:28

@eplante 

What are your settings under Advanced, Network, IPTV/LAN ??

Options
Re:NIntendo Switch Connectivity-Solution
2024-05-06 13:30:18 - last edited 2024-05-06 13:30:22

Thanks for the suggestions, both sensible.

Turns out that it's the default (non-paid) parental controls that were preventing the Nintendo Switch from reaching Nintendo servers!! It started working as soon as I unassigned the Switch from one of my kids. This is broken and definitely needs to be fixed.

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-05-06 17:22:13

@eplante 

Ok, thanks for reporting back how you solved the issue.

However, I think we can't rule out that this might have been intended behavior. If one creates a profile for a child of age X in the Tether app, then it automatically applies certain content filters based on what TP-Link (or actually the company that provides the HomeShield services to TP-Link) thinks is appropriate for a child of age X.

Options
2024-05-06 18:08:03

@woozle Nah - whether it's intended or not, it's incorrect - it doesn't correspond to what an ordinary user would expect (they expect the controls to stop kids from looking at  age-inappropriate content on their phone - not block a console marketed at kids). Parents will control what kids do on their Switch with e Switch's parental controls. You need pretty tech savvy parents to go in the list of blocked sites and spot those that correspond to nintendo servers and unblock them.

Options
2024-08-07 02:31:23

@eplante I just started having this issue 3 weeks ago. After seeing your post, I checked, and turned off, the parental controls—but to no avail. I even purchased a newer tp-link in case mine was just too old.

i can't be the only person experiencing this lately. It's getting frustrating.

Options
2024-08-07 19:44:06

@incogcheeto sorry to hear it. Must be a different problem than mine then. For what it's worth, our Nintendo Switch still works just fine now. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 821

Replies: 7

Tags

Related Articles