Cannot connect to XBOX Series x Chat/Party

2024-05-12 17:21:19 - last edited 2024-05-17 06:42:50
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I know there have been some posts on this already. I have recently bought an AX55 and configured it to talk directly to my ISP. Everything working great other than my son can't connect to Xbox chats/party. Hangs saying "Connecting. I tried the usual stuff. 

1) Enabled UPnP

2) NAT Forwarding with ultiple Ports (which I got from one of the other threads)

3) Put the xbox in a DMZ.

Nothing worked. Since then I did notice people saying about needing to restart the route afterwards. Have't tried that yet.

NAT on XBOX says OPEN and I can see the XBOX connecting/ trying to connect in the UPnP screen. But the Join Chat justs keeps saying "Connecting".

The AX55 is a replacement for a Vodafone Router and it works there.

Any ideas on this one?

Thanks,

Dave.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Cannot connect to XBOX Series x Chat/Party-Solution
2024-05-14 19:34:51 - last edited 2024-05-17 06:42:50

@woozle  you're a genius.  Removing the Parental controls worked.  So clearly it's filtering on age profile.  I put his age in as 16.  I never would have figured that out.  Thank you so much.  👍

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-05-14 22:52:49 - last edited 2024-05-17 06:42:54

@dpbarrett70 

Actually, just recently another user in this forum reported similar issues with a Nintendo Switch that would not work right when Parental Controls was in action. That's how I got that idea.

Given these user experiences TP-Link should perhaps rethink how they implement the parental controls. 
I think at the very least the Tether app should show a prominent warning when the user creates a profile and adds devices to it and inform the user that doing so will lead to certain content and services being blocked, potentially even such ones that the user might not expect to be blocked.

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:Cannot connect to XBOX Series x Chat/Party
2024-05-12 22:23:20 - last edited 2024-05-12 22:25:17

@dpbarrett70 

Hi,

Have you already touched the "Parental Controls" of your Archer AX55? If not, then it's fine.

By the way, have you already tested whether a Windows 10/11 PC connected to the AX55 can successfully join the Xbox Party Chat via the Xbox app?

Options
2024-05-13 06:18:48

@woozle hi, I had already set up parental controls before I realised it wasn't working. But only the Bedtine one (but it's failing outside the window). Should I try removing? 

Haven't tried windows 11 connecting to chat. I will try that. 

one other point I missed. We have 2 Xbox's. Xboxone  and xbox series x. It's the Series X that's not working.  I know there can be port issues with 2 on the same network which is why I'm they are configured on different ports.  But, as I said, both work on the ISP provided router, even without Port Firdwarding, UPnP or DMZ being configured on that one. 

im seeing otter posts suggesting that it won't work with many TP-Link routers. I'm hoping that's not the case. 

Options
2024-05-13 12:43:04

@dpbarrett70 

I think it would be worthwhile to remove everything from the Parental Controls and see if that makes any difference.

The way Parental Controls currently works is that you create profiles for users and then assign client devices of your choice to those profiles. If a profile is created for a child, then the Tether app asks for the age of the child and based on the selected age automatically enables certain content filters for that profile.

Options
2024-05-14 19:34:51 - last edited 2024-05-17 06:42:50

@woozle  you're a genius.  Removing the Parental controls worked.  So clearly it's filtering on age profile.  I put his age in as 16.  I never would have figured that out.  Thank you so much.  👍

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-05-14 22:52:49 - last edited 2024-05-17 06:42:54

@dpbarrett70 

Actually, just recently another user in this forum reported similar issues with a Nintendo Switch that would not work right when Parental Controls was in action. That's how I got that idea.

Given these user experiences TP-Link should perhaps rethink how they implement the parental controls. 
I think at the very least the Tether app should show a prominent warning when the user creates a profile and adds devices to it and inform the user that doing so will lead to certain content and services being blocked, potentially even such ones that the user might not expect to be blocked.

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-07-12 10:40:36

@woozle  hi I'm having same issues I have tp link modem no problem just added tp link deco s3 while connected to deco can't join party chat on xbox change back to modem and not a problem I have parental control set up for my kids would it be that it's it stopping me from joining while on the deco mesh units 

Options
2024-07-12 12:29:24

@Primal_war_bee if you created their profile specifying ages under 18 then yes.  That's probably why. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 577

Replies: 7

Related Articles