Performance Deco M5 + Gigabit Fiber

2024-05-29 07:39:18
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.7.4 Build 20231222 Rel. 63684

Hi,

I have a 1gbps / 500 mbps fiber connection. My DECO acts as the main router connected to the fiber ONT. The Deco is configured with PPPoE and VLAN. For some reason, the download speed does not exceed approximately 500 mbps (wired connection), sometimes a little faster after reboot. The QoS is set to 1gbps / 500 mbps. The Deco itself is connected to a gigabit switch where all fixed PCs are connected, and all the wiring in the house is Cat7.

What could be the issue here? Thanks in advance.

Kr

Phil

Options
4 Reply
Re:Performance Deco M5 + Gigabit Fiber
2024-05-29 17:18:49

@philz03 

In Deco app, there is "Test Internet Speed" button on main page. This will run embedded Ookla app to test wired link from Main Deco to the Internet. When you run that, what speeds are you getting?

Options
2024-05-30 06:15:49

@Alexandre. I just tried with the router from the provider, there I get full speed, the test in the app on the deco itself also under performs. Could it be that the M5 does not has the prcocessing power to handle PPPoE, VLAN en Gigabit ethernet?

Options
2024-05-30 15:00:35 - last edited 2024-05-30 18:49:26

philz03 wrote

@Alexandre. I just tried with the router from the provider, there I get full speed, the test in the app on the deco itself also under performs. Could it be that the M5 does not has the prcocessing power to handle PPPoE, VLAN en Gigabit ethernet?

@philz03 

It is possible. M5 is not the most powerful Deco model. In my tests with Satellite M5 I have found that it is capable of passing gigabit Ethernet traffic, reaching 920-940Mbps. But when you add to it router functionality of Main Deco, all advanced features from firmware 1.7 and possibly an overhead of PPPoE connection, that might be too much for M5.

If you have provider router, I would suggest using it, and also switch Deco mesh to Access Point mode. This is how I run my Deco mesh that includes M5s, and they are doing just fine in that setup.

See Switching a Deco to Access Point (AP) Mode

Also note that when it comes to WiFi speeds you could get about 450-500Mbps from Main Deco M5. For WiFi speeds reaching gigabit you should look for Deco mesh that supports WiFi6. Deco M5 is WiFi5.

Options
2024-05-31 07:29:19

@Alexandre. I ended up putting the deco's in AP mode in combo with the router from the fiber provider, now everything is at full speed. Only downside thay my devices are no longer protected by the built in anti virus, can you suggest a Deco model that should be able to handle the speed, ideally i want a device with at least 2.5 gbit ports and wifi 7.

Options